DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed out the fuel pump unit in gas tank After sitting overnight I turn the key halfway and the sender unit is pressurizing rail for over a minute, then starts right up. Why does this pressure rail take so long to build pressure? The old fuel pump had the same problem. I changed out fuel pump because the float failed and had no fuel level gauge reading. Is this normal to wait so long for a rail to pressurize?

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
The pump only runs enough to prime the system with the key on run(without starting) then shuts off. How are you getting it to run for over a minute?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rail looses pressure overnight. Is there a check valve in the fuel line? I don’t smell any gas if there was a leak in the fuel line.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have been told there is a check valve near or in the fuel pump. My truck builds pressure quickly then looses it too fast so at times I am required to turn key on for 3 seconds, then off. Then back on and it starts.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
You should have 49 psi with in a second of turning the key to "on". Pressure does not last once the pump stops running. It will slowly drop over time. If pressue drops to noting within a minute or so you have a problem. Did you happen to swap out the fuel pump relay?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Fuel pump relay is okay. Pressure drop occurs within 5 seconds and none of injectors are leaking. I need to drop the gas tank in my 99 but not looking forward into doing that.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I replaced the pump in a Dodge Dynasty four times before I got the right one. Parts from a local dealer were in the wrong boxes. The first three all drained back and I had to crank the starter forever to get fuel back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I replaced the pump in a Dodge Dynasty four times before I got the right one. Parts from a local dealer were in the wrong boxes. The first three all drained back and I had to crank the starter forever to get fuel back.
I had to replace my fuel pump. When we installed it it would kick on and then off. But it turns out that the company had the wires backwards. We switched the positive and negative wires and it works great. Who knew.?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had to replace my fuel pump. When we installed it it would kick on and then off. But it turns out that the company had the wires backwards. We switched the positive and negative wires and it works great. Who knew.?
Nice, that you solved it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts