Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there -

I would appreciate any advice regarding a problem with my HVAC.

My fan no longer works. Nothing happens when it is set at any of the levels. I've checked the fuses and they appear to be fine.

What I need to know is - what could be causing this problem? After reading some previous posts it seems like it might be a problem with my blower resistor but any further clarification would be greatly appreciated.

If I do find a replacement part, can someone provide instructions for removing/installing the blower resistor?

OR, maybe the problem is related to a fuse? Though I thought I checked all of them, I thought there might be one hidden in the a/c housing.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

·
Registered
890 Posts
About every 6 months mine will stop working on my '96, but I usually end up blowing fuses when it stops.

I have to take it out (which is a total pain, but I'm pretty good at it now LOL ), clean it off, and put it back in. Then I'm good for another 6~ months.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Mine died here recently (fan motor) after 235,000 miles of daily use (no a/c). Would work on lower speeds, but blow the fuse on the highest 2 speeds. 3 8mm bolts hold it in (over by the passenger kick panel), plus the connector. Takes all of 15 minutes to swap out (assuming you don't get the connector wedged in there...). Salvage yards usually have them for $20-30, or autozone sells new ones for $80 or so.

If it's the resistor block (not as frequent), you have to take off the wipers and front cowl. Might have to pop the dash up to get the connector back in from the cabin. Haven't checked prices - dealer only item from what I can find, although a pick-n-pull yard might let you have one for $10-15 (normal salvage yards don't stock them).

Lastly, and even less requent of a failure item, is the HVAC control panel (Knobs plus circuit board). Haven't priced those either. Removal is pretty straightforward. Getting the cables back on looks to be the hard part...

There's always the possibility of bad wiring, etc. If you have a multimeter, you could do a little troubleshooting, check for continuity and all. Might help pin down the culprit.

Best of luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.