DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been seeing the prices on a modern hemi/trans combo out of a wrecked RAM getting down in a decent price. I am considering some performance boost for my 1996 Dakota (5.2l), and this has my curiousity peaked. Has anyone on this board tried/succeeded at fitting a newer Hemi in a 1st gen Dakota?

Seems I could spend as much money trying to make power on my 5.2l. From what I've seen the Hemi would net me better gas miliage to boot.

· Crazy4x4RT
1,334 Posts
The hemi would be a sweet engine to have. But the only bad thing is all the fab work. It would inculed the motor mounts tranny mounts new drive shaft, and then adding in the complete wireing harness and probably interior eletronics. But If you can get the entire wrecked ram and take what you all you need then it would be alot simpler. and if you have 4wd it would complecate things more. I have put in a 5.9 in place of my 5.2 and there is plenty of power. The swap is easy, you dont even have to get a new computer. But what I can tell you about the hemi is it is lighter than the 5.2 and 5.9 and almost the same size. just alittle wider at the valve cover area. that is it. I have seen big block egine stuffed in there so if they can fit it so can the hemi. So if you do do it please post all the work you did and lots of picture I would love to do that swap one day too.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you go the route of a stock 5.9l from a similar year RAM or did you build it out? I would like to get up around 350hp/350ftlb torque out of it.

I didn't know the 5.9l was a close bolt in. Same wiring harness as well as computer? Might be worth me thinking of building out a good 5.9l long block and taking my induction system and accessorize from my 5.2l over.

Did you keep the stock transmission from the 5.2l? How much did you suffer in the MPG department?

· Crazy4x4RT
1,334 Posts
Doing a swap from 5.2 and 5.9 is easy. The externals are exactly the same inbetween the two. So motor mounts and tranny will bolt up to stock locations. There is only 2 things that are different inbetween them and that is the harmonic balencer and flexplate. The rest is the same like intake, injectors, oil pan, distruter, the 5.2 tranny is the same as 5.9 so it can take it. The stock computer will work fine. When I did it I took the entire engine from a 2000 dakota rt. So when I did the swap all I messed with is the engine. If you can find a complete engine it will make it easyer. Because when you do the swap you have all of the pullys and all that to switch. But if you have it all together it will go quickly. Since I had the 5.9 injectors I used them but your 5.2 injectors will work. but the 5.9 will give you the most performace you can. You do need to use your stock 5.2 sensors unless you want to mess with the wireing harness. Just using stock will not hurt performance. So it is easy the performance is great. The fuel economy is the same as the 5.2. When you get the 5.9 if you have a little of money put it in the engine. get it bord over .030. you could also mill down the heads and block .030. all of this will give you more power. If I forgot something let me know.

· Registered
47 Posts
I agree,the 5.9 swap is much easier and will net the same results.I did the stock 5.9 swap and then about a year later built a 4 inch stroke 5.9(408 ci) and it bolts in and runs just as slick as a stock 5.9. If you dont get crazy with cams and stuff. I ran mine with a stock 5.9 computor out of a van.computors out of vans and full size pickups up to 1994 will swap without problems.Mine ran great. I'm doing another 4 inch motor right now that will be mostly stock with the barrel intake and all just to see how much torque it will make.

· Mopar in Ford&Chevy land
183 Posts
Actually I know a guy who might sell me a 5.9 out of a 98 dak r/t. He says only thing wrong is that it smokes a bit. Which isnt any big deal. I didn't think much about it but now I might consider getting it.

· Mopar in Ford&Chevy land
183 Posts
Actually I do need a driver side fender and a new front bumper for my 94 dak....Sorry about the thread jack.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.