DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My shifter can be moved forward or back at least an inch or so no matter what gear it is in. It feels like what ever is supposed to hold the bottom of the shifter (under the boot) has failed and allows the free play. Anybody have any ideas? How hard is it to gain access to the shifter? :help:

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Your bushings are shot. Get some booger bushings, they can be installed in under half an hour with basic hand tools and some lithium grease.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Not hard at all. Just take the cover off and see what needs to be replaced no special tools nessesary. Although you might want to change them from under the car.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
What are you talking about N-GIN? Under the car???

To gain access to the shifter bushings on the tranny (two on tranny, two on shifter) simply remove the air intake tube between the airbox and throttle body and unclip the fusebox fromt he battery tray and push it aside. You'll be able to see the bushings where the shift cables attach to the top of the transmission. Pop the cables off the stalks on the tranny, and remove the sloppy stock rubber bushings with a flat tip screwdriver (or they might just fall out/apart, depending on how bad they are). Put some lithium grease on the outside of your new booger bushings ($20 for the set, worth every penny and then some) and on the stalk on the transmission and first pop the bushing into the ring at the end of the cable and then onto the transmission stalk. Repeat this process for the two bushings on the shifter. To gain access to them, remove the center consol (6 screws in armrest storage unit, 2 near the cupholders) and then pop the tabs that hold the boot to the base of the shifter and lift the boot up and hang it over the knob. The bushings will be in plain sight.

When you order a set of booger bushings they come with step by step directions, although the process is VERY simple.

·
Registered
793 Posts
OOPs my bad, sorry I was thinking it had shift linkage not cables. The cars with linkage you can only acces under car.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
thats wat i did with my 1st gen ... but with my mopar shortthrow i broke a bolt in the short throw and had to drill it out and put my own bolt in it lmfao ! worked great after that while i had it apart again i got booger bushings...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.