DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody I have read this forum on my friends name before but the time has come I need to ask a question of my own. I have a 1995 Dodge 2500, 5 speed. I got the truck from a friend, all nice and lifted on 38.5's and everything was peachy until about 2 months ago. I was driving the truck when I heard a horrific grinding noise in 1st gear. I had already let the clutch out and was driving when it started this crazy grind sound. The noise sounded as if I was trying to get it into gear or something but like I said I was already in gear. As it sits the truck will do this grind noise crap in 1st gear, 2nd gear, 3rd gear..and 4th and 5th but not so drawn out in 4th/5th. It sounds like it cant catch a gear or something and its very loud. The truck drives normal while it does this grinding noise. If I let off the gas while its grinding away it will stop. But sometimes once back on the gas it will start to make the noise again. If I put in the clutch in while its making the noise it will stop. It will also stop if I mash the gas once it begins to grind. It will carry this grinding noise for a mile if once it starts I do nothing but keep on the gas the same. I was for sure thinking that my trans was taking a crap on me but my friend thinks its not the case. However I can FEEL it in the trans. But the kicker is when I put the truck in 4wd it doesnt do it. I can shift and its all good. The 4th gear synchro in the trans is already shot. I have to make the 3-->4th gear shift in like a 3 mississippi count. But thats nothing compared to this noise it makes. WTF is the problem anybody heard of this? I have been driving the truck around like this for way too long and I'm stumped. All replies very much appreciated!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
does it do it when it's in park? I'd say take a look at your throw-out bearing, other than that I'd say it's something in the trans. maybe even a flywheel bolt coming loose and hitting something, IDK almost have to hear it to give you an educated guess.

·
Registered
1 Posts
it sounds liike you may have a bearing going bad!! check the fluid in the trans. if thats good try to push up and down and from side to side on the output yoke to see if the rear bearing is going.if you get movement upr or down or side to side the bearing needs to be replaced. you can also drop the rear drive shaft and spin the yoke with the truck in nuetral and see if you hear the grinding noise. if you have a np 231 transfer case its a good chance thats what it is. i had the same problem with an aut trans but i was also getting a real bad vibration coming back throught the steering wheel and dash.

·
Registered
70 Posts
ok well i had a similiar problem, with an automatic though. The problem was that the pinion gear and ring gear in the rear diff were not meshing because the gears were pretty much stripped along with the bearings. The noise came because the driveshaft would just spin the pinion on the ring gear and make a really loud grinding noise. It would go away in 4wd because the front axle would keep the rear from spinning out of control. Have someone look underneath while its making the noise and see if the rear diff driveshaft spins faster than it should. Let us know how it goes...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies guys. I was temped to take an in truck vid and post it up. the noise is LOUD! it sounds like gears are skipping past eachother at a high rate of speed and just clipping eachother. It does not do it when im in neutral I gota be driving. Sometimes it will just make a "chip" sound real quick. Other times its real drawn out - just "grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrind". I can let off the gas or pedal through it to make it stop for that moment. It has got to be something in the trans or transmission related. I will do my best to diagnose the problem how the truck sits now but I may not find out what it is until I take things apart. I'll use your suggestions and get back to yas!

edit* just wanted to say i checked trans fluid first. I even went as far as syphoning it out and putting in some lucas manual trans fluid along with some heavier gear oil. I thought the synchros were the problem but nothing changed after I did that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same thing in my 95

I have exactly the same problem in my ride. I am just beginning diagnosis, Let me know what you find out and i will do the same

·
Registered
12 Posts
Given the fact that you don't get this noise in 4-WD, I suspect the problem is either in the rear differential or the transfer case. If you have a long-bed, you should be able to determine if the sound is coming from the rear differential. With a short bed, it may be hard to tell the difference in sound source between the rear diff or the transfer case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It was a broken snapring in the tcase and it began being noisy in 4wd also aftera short time. Fixed with a Ford snapring that is apparently of better quality

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea I still have yet to fix this truck. Its been sitting in my driveway and I didnt touch it all winter. Now that I have some time and the weather is nice I'm guna get crackin on it. So even tho I feel it in the trans, and it sounds like a tranny grinding..it could be the T-case. I guess it shudnt be that hard to believe because after all it doesnt grind for sh*t when in 4wd. hrmmm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.