DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 95 Dakota with the 3.9 auto. Previous owner was told it was going to need engine work when they bought it. They did nothing and drove it. Told me it just died on them while driving so they had it towed home.

My brother is a mechanic and he noticed the oil district was removed and now will not go back in completely. Tried manual rotation of engine & not locked up. But rotating engine did allow dipstick to be fully inserted. He thinks oil pump might have died and caused it to shut off.

Worst case, we have access to a solid running 3.9 to swap but I'm wondering if my engine is rebuildable? Rather rebuild than replace with one with unknown maintenance. I did pay little enough for the truck with title that it's still a good deal even if I buy a motor.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The only way to tell if it's rebuildable - is to tear it down and check it out. What's the cylinder walls like? Crank? Pistons? Heads?

Nobody on this side of your screen can tell you.

But.

Get it out, strip it down, get it sonic tested (and magnafluxed), and make your decision from that.

Or rebuild that solid running 3.9 and drop it in.

Or find a 5.2 (94/95 ideally, 92/93 used different injectors and 96+ handled EGR without an EGR valve) and build that for the truck.

Or a 5.9, just find a Gen2 oil pan for the 5.9 (the 5.2 will need a Dakota oil pan, also.)

RwP

1 - 2 of 2 Posts