DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know if there is a manual trans that will fit on my 1993 intrepid 3.3L im fixing up mine and want a 5 speed in it with out having to go all out rear wheel drive, pleeaaasse let me know. thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
93 manual trans

I don't know of anything that is going to be a direct bolt in for Intrepid due to the engine being mounted longitudally. There are a few imports that have the engine and trans mounted in the same fashion. Volkswagen did have a 5 speed that went in the Quantum and of course this will be the same as some of the Audi's. I believe that Volvo had the same configuration in some of the 900 cars. How much will have to be built to bolt it in will take alot of research and/or ingenuity but, I'm sure that it can be done. Volkswagen did have a diesel in the Quantum that was a 5 cylinder turbo so, I'm sure that it will withstand the torque. I hope this is of help to you. :IDEA:

·
2.7 Trauma Surgeon
963 Posts
joefish said:
I don't know of anything that is going to be a direct bolt in for Intrepid due to the engine being mounted longitudally. There are a few imports that have the engine and trans mounted in the same fashion. Volkswagen did have a 5 speed that went in the Quantum and of course this will be the same as some of the Audi's. I believe that Volvo had the same configuration in some of the 900 cars. How much will have to be built to bolt it in will take alot of research and/or ingenuity but, I'm sure that it can be done. Volkswagen did have a diesel in the Quantum that was a 5 cylinder turbo so, I'm sure that it will withstand the torque. I hope this is of help to you. :IDEA:
Ive done some research on this as well and have came to the same conclusion. The only real way to do it would be to either build a manual trans for the car using basically the 42-LE automatic's case, or adapt a 5 speed from a VW or Audi to it. The other option is to go rear wheel drive. I have seen a few Intrepids with this done-- both done well and rigged up. But it is possible.

I saw one that was converted to RWD with a LS1 Camaro engine, 5 speed trans, and a Lexus rear axle setup. It was a Chrysler LHS. They actually got it running and put it on the road. This is a major modification, which required extensive welding and fabricating.

I have started a 3.2 to 5.7 hemi swap project for my Intrepid, and will probably look into throwing in a 5 speed--and if its too much trouble I will just do a heavy duty rebuild on the 42-LE automatic so it can handle the extra power and torque. I already found out that the 5.7 Charger Hemi will bolt right up to the LH 42-LE. That would be much much less headache than converting the car to RWD.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts