DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance to anybody who can help me with this!

This started a few months ago when I went out to take my for a drive and it wouldn't start. I tried putting gas in it and then it started so I figured maybe it had a gas leak or something. Then I went and filled it with gas, but I haven't seen or smelled any gas so I don't think that is the problem.

The next time I went to drive it, it started and I got a couple miles down the road and it just died while I was going down the road. It wouldn't start back up so I waited about 15 minutes and then its started and again so I drove back home.

Since then I have changed the spark plugs, spark plug wires, rotar, distributor cap and the fuel filter. When I turn the key one click I can hear what sounds like the fuel pump turning on, so I don't think that's the problem, but it could be.

I have gotten it to start a couple times since then and when it starts it runs better than it has since I've owned it, although a couple of times I got into the gas pretty hard just after I started it while it was idling and it died and wouldn't re-start. Other times I have let it idle for a couple minutes and then I can get into the gas as hard as I want.

The last few times I've tried starting it, it won't start. The engine turns over just fine, but it never starts. My Dakota has 128,000 miles on it.

I don't remember the specific codes it spit out, but I also tried turning the key on and off 3 times and counting the number of "Check Engine" light flashes. One of the codes indicated that an ignition spark sensor or something to that might not be working. Can somebody explain to me how to find that sensor and on a scale of 1-10 how easy it would be to replace?

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
You could very well have a fuel pump going bad.

The sensor you're referring to is the cranks sensor and these do go bad on occasion. The CS on your truck is either going to be mounted by the crank pulley or it's located on top of the transmission bellhousing (it goes down through a slot on the bellhousing).

They're not that hard to change.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help. I thought anybody reading this would want to know it turned out to be the Hall Effect sensor.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
The Hall Effect sensor is located inside the distributor. It's also known as the Cam sensor or Pickup Module.

·
Banned
115 Posts
i would've guessed ignition coil, but he symptoms didn't add up. Hall effect didn't come to mind, but now that i here it, it makes sense.
tim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.