DodgeTalk Forum banner
  • Enter for your chance to win a $50 Amazon Giftcard! HERE.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought this clean 1989 but the motor is toast it’s 4wd 5sp 3.9 I’m guess an 3.9LA since the motor is coming out what is the best all round option this truck will be my daily work truck but I do want to have some fun!! What the eastiest swap? I was think a 3.9 magnum swap but not sure what’s all needed.. thanks for the help?
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Red Trucker
3,052 Posts
Easiest swap would be putting a stock 3.9LA back in it. 3.9 Magnum is a 50hp jump but that's in it's fuel injected computer controlled state. I assume your '89 has TBI? You'd either have to adapt the port injection of the magnum or find one of the very rare carb manifolds for it and either carb it or put some kind of aftermarket fuel injection on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Easiest swap would be putting a stock 3.9LA back in it. 3.9 Magnum is a 50hp jump but that's in it's fuel injected computer controlled state. I assume your '89 has TBI? You'd either have to adapt the port injection of the magnum or find one of the very rare carb manifolds for it and either carb it or put some kind of aftermarket fuel injection on it.

thanks for the info it’s a carb 3.9 LA.

·
Red Trucker
3,052 Posts
If this were me I'd swap in a Magnum 360 with a Holley Sniper EFI. Keep in mind that would necessitate upgrades to other components.

·
Red Trucker
3,052 Posts
Magnum swap requires the entire harness, PCM, transmission, instrument cluster, fuel tank, etc.
Only if you want to keep the factory EFI with it's shitty intake and would it be a royal pain in the dick to integrate into that vehicle. Magnum carb manifold, Holly Sniper and off to the races. You definitely don't need to keep the 46RE. A518 would be a much more logical candidate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts