Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving my 88 3.9 V-6 automatic home recently,
I heard a slight ticking noise, then a moment later
the ticking became severely worse, and there was a pretty loud sucking sound. and at the same time it kind of sounded like something was passing through my exhaust?
I though I had lost a valve, I pulled the head and the heads seem fine. there was a small pool of oil in the #2 cylinder, but when the truck was running at the time of the incident there was NO smoke.
Please HELP!!!
Im pretty good around the engine bay, but trouble shooting isnt my strong point. So any suggestion can be checked by me fairly easily.
Thanks in advance ,Chris

·
Registered
1 Posts
Engine trouble

You should have checked the compression first, before pulling the heads. This test tells you a lot what's going on. Checking the engine vacuum is also suggested. At this stage however, you can only inspect the heads and the pistons for any damage.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Maybe someone dropped a part in the intake manifold and it made its way thru the engine? Take a look at the top of the pistons for some sort of marks like something was being beat to death.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome Update;

AWESOME UPDATE;
I never did figure out what was wrong with the V-6???
I'll probably just reassemble it and run it till it blows, just for the peace of mind of knowing what went wrong.
HOWEVER... My Wife just agreed to let me turn it into
a strip truck! A MOPAR 406 Stroker is already on order!!!
I will keep everyone posted on my progress!!!!!

Special Thanks to ALL that tried to save the poor little V-6
Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.