DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1988 dodge ram w150 ECU question

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  tml1138 
#1 ·
New to this forum. Im picking up my second 1st gen pickup. This time, its a gas version. The pickup doesnt run. current owner says its the computer and the computer is a 1 year only version. From what I've been gathering from the parts house, this doesn't seem to jive. I would like to be able to just go to a junk yard and pull a computer. But, the closest 88 ram is 200mi round trip. (little far for a $8 part) Can anyone else confirm this for me?

#2 ·
For the cost of a toll free phone call, I'd call someplace like Summit, and see what THEY say. I would THINK that if '88 is a "one-off," than it should mesh with '89 - '91 as well. My '92 is MPFI, and has a completely different ECU (although it actually interchanges up to '95), that WON'T work with yours.

But I'd try Summit, and maybe Parts Geek after that - they're MUCH more knowledgeable on these things!

#3 ·
I don't know about the TBI 88-91 computers, but I know my 95 Dakota computer it doesn't matter from other years with the same Magnum motor. Obviously engine size matters, but the other big difference is manual or auto trans as well. Again I don't have any knowledge of the 88-91 (but looking like I'm going to need to learn soon) but I'm thinking you'd be ok as long as it's a computer from a truck with the same motor size and transmission as yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.