Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEY my problem is starter ,does the starter relay on fender wall go bad often
i have a fully charged battery, truck just clicks when turning key, thought battery cable was bad so replaced, still doesnt start,if you tap on the starter
it will turn over,is the soliniod bad can i rebuilt it with kit truck is a five speed
past couple weeks truck has had problem dying at redlights and wouldnt start up
so i had to pop the clutch to start do you think that might have cause damage.
thanks for any help stovebolt

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Sounds like it's starter time. :gr_patrio

·
Registered
510 Posts
The major problem with the starters in these years, is that the solenoid plunger wears down more on one side then the other, and the plunger has to engage crooked. Had this happen a couple of times through-out the years. If you are crafty ( handy) can get your hands on some thick flat copper strips, you can replace the side pieces. The sides are the real problem, because, they arc away from making contact. If you attemp this, be carefull when removing the smaller bolts, as they break easy. Here are some pics for you from my factory manual. Also, DON'T remove the motor cover, as it is a real "Beech" to re-install the brushes.

Also, if the pics get smaller when you click them, just hover in the bottom right hand corner, and click the re-size icon to make them bigger.
Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Man Just Goto Your Local Starter Shop And Have The Contacts Replaced Should Cost Youj About 35 Bucks Depending On Where You Are Make Sure And Have Check The Brushes Too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.