DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, I see many post in regards to blower motor and resistor replacements with the classic Mopars.
I have a 1988 Dodge Ram D100 that had excellent Ac/Heat and problem free controls.
Recently, it would spuratically kick on and off.
Went to auto parts store and bought resistor and for the life of me can not find it.

I have taken the dash apart and did not have any success and now don’t even have spuratic air.
Any points would be much appreciated.
Stay Safe and Best Regards

·
Registered
96 Posts
Drop the glovebox compartment down after opening the door - should be right there on the fire wall behind (inside cab) where the compartment was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drop the glovebox compartment down after opening the door - should be right there on the fire wall behind (inside cab) where the compartment was.

Thank you for the quick response.
I have taken the glovebox out and behind had the vent control unit and a main harness going to the cpu plug.There is insulation at the fire wall, but see nothing remotely similar to the resistor advertised that I purchased.
Could you tell me if it is hard mounted to the fire wall?
Thanks again and best regards!
Chad

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes it’s definitely hard mounted to the firewall - look again and look up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I8AHemi,
Great help my friend. I am embarrassed with how much time I went looking with no success... all along right where you mention.
The screws to the hold the unit are cantankerous and do not seem to want to unthread as I try to loosen.

AC kicked on for a minute and when I touched to try different HVAC options, it lost all power again.
There is a plug on the back side, bottom of the control itself that has three prongs, one horizontal to the other parallel.
I just sprayed it with contact cleaner and the unit comes on For a split sec once in a while and Then off when lightly touching plug and a struggle to get contact again.
Would this be a bad harness or a bad control unit?
Thanks again, owe you a round of beers my friend!!!
Sincerely,
Chad

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would look at replacing the actual switch- I went through similar ac issues and my fuse was melting in the panel under the steering wheel. I had to cut out that wire and put in a separate fuse holder. Seemed like the higher the blower went the hotter it got. It was still happening after a new blower and resistor and ac compressor- plus wiring. I eventually ordered the switch but haven’t replaced it yet - I don’t use blower on high speed and worked the switch up and down rapidly and it hasn’t gotten that hot again in a year or so but makes me nervous still (good reminder to swap that old switch out on mine). I think the switches tho can be problematic and was the cause of the high resistance melting the fuse. All I can say is check what you can and at least most of that stuff isn’t real expensive. I don’t promote just throwing new parts at it but sometimes that’s what happens.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Overheating resistors, fuses, and connectors are usually the fault of a blower motor that is failing. As the bearings dry out the current necessary to turn the motor keeps increasing gradually till something gives. I've seen connectors melted into solid blobs because of this. It's also the cause of phantom failing resistors that seem to keep going out for no reason.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts