Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howdy fellas!

i just bought a 1988 Colt for 100 dollars, not running.
i began to take the engine apart until i found what was wrong with it, it had a bad timing belt. i pruchased another belt and now an faced with havning to set the timing on the engine, i am told there are some model specific marks on the gears and maybe the engine black itself that need to line up/ be in specific positions, can anybody shed some light on this? anything would be helpfull

Aslo, i was told by the mechanic here in town that often, when a timing belt goes bad it damages the valves? true? if i have to replace the valves i will most likely end up purchasing a complete head from the scrap yard.

thanks folks!

any help appreciated.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
To answer the question about valve damage. Yes it can be true. If your engine is what is known as an "interferance" engine then yes the valves can be damaged if the timing belt breaks. What happens is, the belt breaks and the valves stop moving leaving some still open. The piston comes up and smacks the valves bending them AND quite possibly punching a hole in the piston.

However, if your engine is not an "interferance" engine then you're probably okay.

One way to check see which engine you have, is to try turning the engine over by hand. If you can turn the engine over freely for a few revolutions, then you should be okay with just replacing the belt.

I would sugggest either going on Ebay and trying to find a factory service manual or buy a Haynes or Chiltons manual from your local parts store.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, i took the valve cover off and attempted to turn the gear thats connected to the cam shaft W/ a wranch and it turns and all the rocker arms mover up and down so can i assume if they were dammaged they would lock up somewhere?

thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.