DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a new y-pipe. I have a 1987 d150 with a 360, new y-pipe is over $100 but the y-pipe for a 1978 in half the price. can anyone tell me what the difference is in the two / Thanks John

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the '87 has a cat and the '78 has just an intermediate pipe to the muffler. Are the frames the same ? i just don't see any physical reason why they are different. thanks John

·
Mopar Madness - Get it...
4,032 Posts
Just out of curiosity, where did you find a new Y-pipe (Pre-fabbed, I'm guessing) for a late 70's rig?

I don't THINK there is any difference in the frames ... Maybe with pipe diameter or manifold connection or length/bend of pipe? I really don't know... I'd guess it's the cat connection... Pretty sure no 78' came with a cat (My 79' didn't although all the catalogs say they do...)

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Sme 87's had had a small cat in the pipe from the left bank. It varied as to it was heavy duty or light duty and if it was a kalyfurny or 49 state truck. I believe it was to b generate heat to get the main cat up to operating temperature quicker on cold starts. :gr_patrio

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
That's the word!! Couldn't think of it to save my butt. ;) :gr_patrio

·
Registered
177 Posts
i had an 86 w-150 and looked into that myself. parts guys had 2 available-1 with a "mini-oxygenator" and 1 without. well....i put a 74 vintage 360 init with a new cat and claimed i was pulling over 10,000 combined GVW to get past our e-check crap.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is just aproject truck and I don't really have to wory about the inspection part. I think i'll get the y-pipe for the '78 and see how it works. thanks everyone for the chat.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here in New York avehicle of that age only gets a safety inspection, however most places that inspect want to see the vehicle as it came from the factory.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
i heard some of the boys say the inspection station have detailed printouts. But i agree with the previous post, plenty of new oil wrenches that gawk at my carb...seems the new crowd would have no idea what to do with all the adjustments....

·
Registered
769 Posts
ok here's a good question i also have an 87 d150 and i cant find the bolt pattern, offset, or rear spacing to buy aftermarket rims. it has a 318 which i doubt makes a difference but it is long wheel base which i know is different from the short wheel base. i currently have cragar 330 series rims..i think they look the same but the previous owner used spray paint on them which i spent days scraping and pressure washing off ( no shop so i couldnt take the tires off and sandblast) but the center was white and the only chrome part was after the spokes. anyways any help on this is greatly appreciated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.