DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1985 w150. Looking to replace 318 block and heads. Do I need same exact year block? Or cani use a 1993 block and heads if I use my existing intake and carb?

·
Red Trucker
2,090 Posts
Are you sure it's a 1993 318? If so, that's a Magnum series. It will bolt in place but you'll need to think about a couple things. Among those is having to buy a different intake manifold because the Magnum is VERY different and they are not interchangeable.

·
Registered
147 Posts
To keep the current intake, you'll have to either swap to a Magnum intake, or find LA-pattern Magnum heads, or redrill the Magnum heads to bolt the intake on.

EngineQuest used to sell LA pattern Magnum heads; but they've been discontinued.

Also, there's no heat riser port in the heads; your choke will need to be redone and any EGR will have to be redone.

OTGH - the base Magnum heads breath better than any production LA heads (aftermarket is a different story), so it'll wake the truck up some.

Final answer - if you were to rewire to upgrade to fuel injection from the donor 1993, I'd use the 1993 set and keep the EFI. If, however, that's more than you want to get into, I'd find a LA block to swap in (through 1991 MY for 5.2s, 1992 MY for 5.9s) and possibly upgrade to a 5.9 which will drop right in and even keep the feedback carburator.

RwP

1 - 3 of 3 Posts