DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1984 Dodge Ram 3.l L, 225 CI, Slant 6, "THE LEANING TOWER OF POWER" needs engine upgrade / removing the Lean burn Computer System (scrap Emissions crap & converting to HEI UPGRADE (?).
I think all is original under the hood. This change to the Slant 6 has been done thousands of times. I'm looking for information about "How to do the HEI upgrade" ?
What parts are needed (part numbers if possible), A ball park idea on the Parts & Labor (I will find a Mechanic that has Done this before!) costs ? How will the 1984 pick-up be changed?
How will the fuel consumption be? Are there other things that HAVE to also be changed / done during this upgrade. What are the PRO'S & CON'S?
Items I have changed on engine : Coil, Plugs, Rotor & Cap, Air & Fuel Filters, Belts, PVC Valve, Oil & filter. Want to change, Starter, Timing (?), Carburetor rebuild.
Any and all information , advice and suggestions would be great! I do Not Know the Engine History. Thank-you. Jim

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
if you're ditching the lean burn computer, you need to upgrade the carb as well as the ignition.

hei upgrade is simple. should help with fuel consumption.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maachine, tell me more please (rookie) The 1 barrel carb has to go, and what a 2 bbl?
and the ignition, what all has to be done Do you know whereI can get a step by step walk-through for the non experienced mach.? Even if I take the detailed instructions to a
"Old School Mach." Help please and thank-you! Jim Robbins [email protected]

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
HEI is NO upgrade! Lateral move at best, Only thing you are doing is getting rid of the wiring. You want a real upgrade get MSD6A!

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
i agree with moparite. msd6a. but they are spendy compared to a simple HEI upgrade. i am not all that familiar with slant sixes or the one barrel carb. but if you look at your carb it should have a solenoid with two wires going to it. thats how the lean burn computer controls the carb. if it doesnt have that solenoid you dont have to worry about changing it.

there should be plenty of wiring diagrams online to show you how to wire up an HEI unit. i believe there is a sticky post in the forum somewhere that is detailed and explains it

·
Registered
870 Posts
Not sure what you plan to do but but check out Cliffords (I think) for slant 6 improvements. It looks to be mostly bolt-on improvements (for starters).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.