DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an old, beat up B200 for $600 off Craigslist. It's been lifted and has 4WD. My girlfriend and I got it cause we needed an adventure van. The Honda Odyssey just wasn't cutting it.

Anyway, the front left wheel bearing is shot (tire is tilted) and the rotor's all ground up on the edges. All I have is a Haynes manual I found in the back but the diagram but I have no idea what years that's for. I've rebuilt engines but I don't know much about wheel bearings. Anybody have a relevant diagram or is the Haynes one correct?

·
Elder User
3,115 Posts
Pull the passenger side apart, it's a mirror image. Plus if one side is bad the other side might be right behind it so you should be inspecting the passenger side at the very least.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pull the passenger side apart, it's a mirror image. Plus if one side is bad the other side might be right behind it so you should be inspecting the passenger side at the very least.
Well, turns out this is more complicated than expected. Having trouble figuring out exactly which front axle I have. The hub assembly I got from Napa didn't match up. It appears to be a Dana 44 but I've been having a hard time finding matching BOM numbers online. The rear axle looks like a Chrysler 8.25

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have an non factory authorized 4x4 B350. The front axle is a D44 and the brakes are the same as a 3/4 ton GMC or Chev from the 80s. Take the pads in to an auto parts store. Figure out the application and off you go. The rest of the brakes and hubs will be from that vehicle. Some D44s had 8 bolt hubs with heavier bearings fyi.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an non factory authorized 4x4 B350. The front axle is a D44 and the brakes are the same as a 3/4 ton GMC or Chev from the 80s. Take the pads in to an auto parts store. Figure out the application and off you go. The rest of the brakes and hubs will be from that vehicle. Some D44s had 8 bolt hubs with heavier bearings fyi.

I took the whole hub assembly to Napa and they were not able to figure it out. I've called a few local 4x4 places with no luck either. I'm about 90% sure it's a Dana 44 but I don't know which one, exactly. Are all Dana 44's pretty interchangeable, parts-wise?

Numbers I have been able to identify:
  • On the Long Arm:
    • 604301 2 3198PE
      • The '6' and '4' were hard to decipher as well as the 'PE'
  • On the Differential webbing
    • 44-1
    • C35817
    • @ 7

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm still having a hell of a time finding that replacement hub assembly. Do y'all know where I should be looking?

Seems like Spice is the brand name that Dana uses to sell aftermarket parts

"Dana builds the drivetrain components that original equipment manufacturers trust, from axles and axle components to driveshafts and more. And under the legendary Spicer brand, Dana makes those same parts available to the aftermarket."

Most of what I have found looks like the one from Napa

But mine looks like this:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Napa and such don't have listings for what appears to me to be a factory authorized B100 conversion because you have pulled the BOM off the axle tube and it shows as a factory set up.

Now start thinking...

what other 4wd vehicles would have used the same 1/2 ton parts with the same wheel bolt pattern?

For my money I'd look at every 1/2 ton 4wd truck built from 72 to 84.

All manufacturers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well to simplify things, knock out the bearings and races and seal, take them to your local bearing supplier and have them match up what you need. Take the rotor over to your local mechanic and have him/her turn it on their lathe. Pack the new bearings with grease and slap everything back together. Now you’ll be able to enjoy your beast while you figure out what the front axle came out of for all the other inevitable parts you’ll need like ball joints, etc...
Post up a picture of the front axle, knuckles, steering linkage etc... might help us identify

I forgot to mention, sometimes the bearing races are integral to the rotor/hub. In which case you won’t be able to knock em out but your bearing supply store will still be able to match up the cone shaped roller bearings

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts