DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1978 W150 PowerWagon. Automatic, 360 V8. With the fulltime 4wd, what can I expect in terms of performance and top speed?

·
Red Trucker
2,399 Posts
Why on earth are you trying to find out how fast a Power Wagon will go lol? That isn't what it's designed for.....if the engine is stock, SLOW with a smog era small block in a full size pickup.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why on earth are you trying to find out how fast a Power Wagon will go lol? That isn't what it's designed for.....if the engine is stock, SLOW with a smog era small block in a full size pickup.
I’m wondering how it’ll handle on a highway. Can I roll comfortably at 70mph? Can I use it to haul other project vehicles?

·
Red Trucker
2,399 Posts
As long as the suspension is good it'll be fine. You may have issues depending on the gearing getting moving initially with a load (I know some of them came with 3.55's but not sure what other ratio options were that year) but should be fine at speed. You'll want a drop hitch since they tend to be on the high side.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As long as the suspension is good it'll be fine. You may have issues depending on the gearing getting moving initially with a load (I know some of them came with 3.55's but not sure what other ratio options were that year) but should be fine at speed. You'll want a drop hitch since they tend to be on the high side.
Suspension is solid. Is there a way I can swap out my transfer case to where I only have part time 4 or would that not be advised?
Another stupid question, could I also swap out the 3speed auto with something a little better?

·
Red Trucker
2,399 Posts
Yes you should be able to easily swap for whatever the available part time case was that year and yes, I'm reasonably certain an A518/46RH would fit; it will bolt to the engine no problem (it's basically and A727 with lockup TC and OD). You would most likely need custom length driveshafts, as the mid-section is chunkier and might be longer (I'm not sure) or later ones from a truck that was built with a 518 might work. You'd need to check the tunnel to ensure trans clearance, need a custom mount and you'd need to wire up the lockup and OD, either with manual switches or there is a kit available to make it happen automatically. It was linked in a post somewhere in this forum not too long ago. That would be the easiest, keep in mind anything beyond that and you're going well into the realm of custom.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes you should be able to easily swap for whatever the available part time case was that year and yes, I'm reasonably certain an A518/46RH would fit; it will bolt to the engine no problem (it's basically and A727 with lockup TC and OD). You would most likely need custom length driveshafts, as the mid-section is chunkier and might be longer (I'm not sure) or later ones from a truck that was built with a 518 might work. You'd need to check the tunnel to ensure trans clearance, need a custom mount and you'd need to wire up the lockup and OD, either with manual switches or there is a kit available to make it happen automatically. It was linked in a post somewhere in this forum not too long ago. That would be the easiest, keep in mind anything beyond that and you're going well into the realm of custom.
Definitely making me feel better, thank you. I’ll see if I can find that thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts