DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok first of all i'm brand new to the site. thanks in advance for the welcoming. anyways down to business. i just recently purchased a 1978 dodge power wagon with a 318 and automatic. I got a good deal on it and its in great shape, however, I'm not the type of person to look past the flaws in a vehicle. The wiring prior to me having the truck has been altered in several places. I can't just leave it alone. If the wire wasn't there from the factory then it doesn't belong plain and simple. When i bought the truck it ran, now before i started tampering with the wiring it wouldn't start. now i'm thinkin the ballast resistor is bad, this is where my first question comes in.

1. i'm thinking about switching to an HEI distributor, what are the benefits to this if any, and what happens to all the electronics that there, like the ballast resistor and the external coil. and how difficult is this to hook up. And does anyone know if it will fit in my power wagon with plenty of room or do i need to modify my firewall?

This is a link to the distributor i'm looking at. Ebay Item number:180325473774

Now the wiring like i said has been tampered with, would anyone on here recommend an aftermarket wiring harness or find a factory harness used thats in good shape? that brings me to my 2nd question.

2. Has anyone ever had any experience with an aftermarket harness in a power wagon. mine has AC in it also. I'm looking at a harness made by haywire. they say its made for a gm but is a good fit with some alterations.

Now theres some external questions i have, the truck has 2 gas tanks, one behind the seat and one under the truck, what i need to know is this.

3. under the passenger side cab corner there is a small pump mounted on the frame, to me it looks like and aftermarket fuel transfer pump. however the wiring that goes to it surely is not factory cause its wrapped around the pump a couple times and then connected. what is this pump and is it recommended that i replace it since i don't know the year of it.

Sorry about the long first post but thank you in advance for any info. i'm sure i'll have more questions in the future.

·
'79CA Emission Certified
185 Posts
#1-Q........That aftermarket HEI distributor may be too large to fit in your truck.
Get the name of the manufacture and call for application. The cap may hit the Auto Trans linkage at the back of the manifold. Also there may be a problem getting a wrench to tighten down the distributor hold down bracket bolt for proper timing.

#2-Q......... I have seen on Ebay, some new wiring harness that have come up on Auction. There are some aftermarket military supply parts houses that have some harness for the 76-78 200 series dodge trucks. Google them for a price and what they have. I do not know that brand "HayWire'. Again call the manufacture and ask for customers phone numbers that have used it. Call some and see if there were any difficulties. If HayWire won't work with you, I would not buy it their product.

#3-Q.........Sounds like an electric fuel pump. It may be used to take over when the engine mechanical fuel pump gets weak (overheating engine on hills?). I agree, you may want to remove it after you find what the fuel flow problems the truck may have. Temporally disconnect the electrical power wire to the pump and put/run the truck under a load (up a hill over 3000 RPMS) for 10 minutes. Then determine if you need it. The last owner may have been hauling and needed more fuel under some other condtions that you do not have now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.