DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the truck and I'm beginning to tackle some of the projects ahead of me. One that I want to tackle soon is the gas gauge that doesn't work. The truck originally had the tank behind the seat. That tank was removed (was this a recall of sorts?) and now the tank is under the bed. The only way I can see to access the sending unit is to remove the bed boards. I am hoping folks on these forums can offer some guidance. TIA

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just bought the truck and I'm beginning to tackle some of the projects ahead of me. One that I want to tackle soon is the gas gauge that doesn't work. The truck originally had the tank behind the seat. That tank was removed (was this a recall of sorts?) and now the tank is under the bed. The only way I can see to access the sending unit is to remove the bed boards. I am hoping folks on these forums can offer some guidance. TIA
I highly doubt there was a recall. Lots of times people don't like a tank of gas right behind their back. Also when the tank is taken out of there you have a little room to put stuff inside the cab. If they use a factory tank under the bed they may have used straps to strap it up there. In that case you can loosen the straps and let the tank down to work on the sending unit...
A picture of your truck would be nice..

·
Vintage Stepsides
189 Posts
The in cab tanks had a tendency to emit fuel odor in the cab. I would consider examining the fuel tank for the location of the sending unit in the tank. If it is accessible to you without lowering the tank, then I would check the terminals for resistance with a multi-meter. If you get an appropriate reading at the sender, then I would check for a resistance reading at or near the gauge. If you get a like reading at or near the gauge, I think you could assume [I'm an amateur at this - not an electrician] the sender and wiring is good. I would also check and clean the grounding wire, if there is one, wherever it is grounded to. In the end, it could be the gauge itself.

I relocated my in cab tank [73 D100] to the rear using a 22 gal. Mustang tank. The fuel sender is located at the bottom front in the tank. Of course, your modification may be something different.

**It is also possible that whoever made the fuel tank modification installed the incorrect fuel sender unit [incorrect resistance] for the Dodge fuel gauge.

Consider purchasing a service manual [on CD] for your truck. It should have the electrical schematics, wire sizes and wire color codes included. They are well worth the cost IMO.

Addit info: Universal Fuel Sender Questions and Troubleshooting

·
Registered
68 Posts
Also that smell sometimes comes from the breather line that travels along the passenger floorboard gets rusted out and allows fumes to escape in the cab..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I highly doubt there was a recall. Lots of times people don't like a tank of gas right behind their back. Also when the tank is taken out of there you have a little room to put stuff inside the cab. If they use a factory tank under the bed they may have used straps to strap it up there. In that case you can loosen the straps and let the tank down to work on the sending unit...
A picture of your truck would be nice..
Here she is...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts