DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought a '78 D150 Powerwagon/Sno-Commander, it has an automatic transmission in it and that works fine. But, I am having trouble getting the 4X4 shifter out of neutral, I am wanting to know what the trick is to get it to shift. I had a 2004 Silverado and all I had to do was put the truck in neutral and I was able to shift it in and out of 4X4 fine.
 

· Aka Force Fed Mopar
Joined
·
6,132 Posts
hullbilly43 said:
I just recently bought a '78 D150 Powerwagon/Sno-Commander, it has an automatic transmission in it and that works fine. But, I am having trouble getting the 4X4 shifter out of neutral, I am wanting to know what the trick is to get it to shift. I had a 2004 Silverado and all I had to do was put the truck in neutral and I was able to shift it in and out of 4X4 fine.
Key points highlighted;) Lot more years of use and abuse on the '78, not to mention a design from the 60's. Are you trying to shift on the fly or at a standstill? The old trucks won't shift on the fly, you pretty much have to be stopped. You might try changing out the fluid, probably hasn't ever been changed, could also very possibly be dry, that would cause hard shifting.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Speed Dragon said:
Key points highlighted;) Lot more years of use and abuse on the '78, not to mention a design from the 60's. Are you trying to shift on the fly or at a standstill? The old trucks won't shift on the fly, you pretty much have to be stopped. You might try changing out the fluid, probably hasn't ever been changed, could also very possibly be dry, that would cause hard shifting.

I am trying to shift at a standstill. I know that last winter the previous and original owner was using it to plow snow around his farm with, and he was able to get it into 4X4, but then again it did sit still from April 2007 till I bought it last Saturday. I will try to oil everything up and check the fluids.
 

· Aka Force Fed Mopar
Joined
·
6,132 Posts
Yeah check the linkage and all, make sure it's clean and well oiled. Needs to be done every year up there, I'm sure you're aware of what that road salt does :)
 

· Mopar Madness - Get it...
Joined
·
4,030 Posts
Had the same prob with my 79' when I first got it. Just about had to kick the shifter to get it in/out of high or lo 'LOC'. I took the shifter assembly apart, cleaned the 25 years worth of crud out of it, lubed it back up, adjusted it, now it works smooth as silk... ;)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
857 Posts
bherder said:
Had the same prob with my 79' when I first got it. Just about had to kick the shifter to get it in/out of high or lo 'LOC'. I took the shifter assembly apart, cleaned the 25 years worth of crud out of it, lubed it back up, adjusted it, now it works smooth as silk... ;)
I had the same problem with mine several years ago, and did the same as Bruce......but mine was still rough.

Then (and of course ONLY then) I read the manual, and it said if it is hard to shift, "put it into reverse, and then right back to neutral", so tried that and WALLLLLLLLLLLLA it works sweet :D
 

· Registered
Joined
·
857 Posts
Heyyyyyyyyy everyone, need sumpin to keep the "little women" occupied??? Send her to this site :D :D :D

! ! CLICKIE HERE ! !
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top