DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1976 M880
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I've read multiple posts about wiring in these vehicles and have had much success in tracking certain problems but am at a standstill. I bought this truck from a fence row and after it had sat for 6 years previous rotting away. I figured for 300 it wasn't a no brainier. After a new starter and fresh fuel I drove it home and began to bring it back to roadworthy condition. I did the amp bypass, ditched the ballast resistor since no points ignition. New BBD carb, new 100 amp alternator and voltage regulator. I replaced the starter relay and all battery wires with 2/0 gauge I use on all our heavy equipment. Overkill but it's not going to fail me. I ran the same gauge wire for grounds such as Neg to frame, frame to head and head to frame. Alternator is also grounded to frame with same gauge wire. Voltage regulator is grounded with original ground strap and a 8 gauge wire from Neg terminal on battery. Alternator puts out 15.8-16.7 volts to battery. I pull green field wire off and it goes to battery voltage 13.2. Pull off red wire and goes to 13.2. I checked ohms on voltage regulator ground and it's .02. Battery voltage is 12.8 at the red wire terminal on voltage regulator plug and connections seem right. Everything is packed full of dielectric grease. One more problem is ignition switch harness is a complete hack job. The only wires present is big yellow and a small orange. It starts with the key but firewall harnesses are in poor condition but there. My questions are 1, Why after all new parts it's still over charging? Lots of big grounds and all mating surfaces are polished and covered in grease plus battery protection spray. #2 is how would I know if the previous owner connected the wires correctly using crimp connectors? I don't have to use a factory harness and have no problem soldering them together but, what colors connect to what? I can see how and why it had a melted amp, gauge cluster. Trying to preserve it considering it has all it's records and documented 64,379 miles. Any and all help is very appreciated. I plan to use this in a veterans day parade hopefully next year providing the pandemic is under control. Thank you!

·
Registered
73 Posts
One thing that I learned is that the aftermarket voltage regulators are up to par. I had the same problem with a few VR's. I found out about an adjustable one. Tried googling to find the part number and BAM found this YouTube video! He's got the part

Here's a screenshot.

Watch the video and you'll see the adjuster on the backside of the VR.
Brian
Screenshot_20201017-183415_YouTube.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts