Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello:
I have some questions regarding my 1975 Dodge B200 Van. I have owned it for about five years. Original paint, straight body, no rust of any kind and original chrome on bumpers still excellent. I rebuilt my rear end with all new parts with dana limited slip and changed changed gear ratio to 390. Also changed wheels to 16". It was quite a project but with some excellent advise from suppler in Las Vegas and local rear end rebuild shop I got it set up perfect and it has been running great. I put an Eldelbrock manifold and 4 barrel carb on, new Eldelbrock valve covers and eliminated all smog equipment. New radiator and all new brakes and rotors.
The tyranny is dying and I was thinking to switch the 318 that is showing signs of wearing out after 150k to a 360 with a new and hopefully upgraded tyranny. Do not mind making mods to drive shaft mounts to come up with something cool in engine and tyranny combo. Want a strong setup. Does anyone have suggestions and or advice.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
No problem swapping in the 360. You'll just need a 360 torque converter since the 360 is an externally balanced engine and a 318 is internally balanced. Also, either the left of right hand motor mount bracket is different between the 318 and 360. You can probably find some brackets at a local boneyard.

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
If I recall correctly, it's the right side mount that differs on a 360. If you have a welder and cutter, you can cut off a triangle off the mount and weld it to the correct place if the boneyard doesn't have one.
As for the tranny a shift kit and cooler would be a good starting point.
--B-300--

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply Nate. Are all 727 tyrannies the same or do the ones in Vans and trucks have different inside parts? Are the serial numbers different for different insides. Mine is PK 3893755-5102-2281. I was thinking of ordering a upgraded one and TC from Summit Racing, but not sure if what they have listed as "727" 24 spline is what I need for the B200 Van.
Gull

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
Yes, the 24 spline is correct. '70 and earliar used 19 spline inputs.
Just make sure you order the correct tranny, as some are manual valve body and others are "reverse shift pattern". Also the tail housing length needs to be correct. As for the convertor most are neutral balanced. (for 318) For a 360 you will need to get a flex-plate for correct balance. (B&M makes one)
--B-300--

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.