DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I just finished re-painting and re-wiring my dash and was looking at putting it back in the van. The previous owner had a custom fabricated wooden dash that was cut in half by someone else so I wanted to go back to stock. That required me repairing the current wiring harness. Luckily I have the manual and used a highlighter to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

I was reverifying my connections when I noticed a stripped white/red wire coming through the firewall on the driver side that wasn't connected to anything. I followed it through the firewall to a 2-wire resistor and then the wire is butt-connected to what looks like a stock connector. It seems to be connected to the choke area (see picture below). I looked through the manual and can not find this on any of the wiring diagrams. There's one section that mentions an "electric assist heating element" or "electronic choke", however, I don't know where this would go.

My theory is that the custom wooden dash had several switches, maybe this wire was connected to one of these switches? Does that mean you would manually switch this on when starting the engine from cold? Where would this wire go normally? Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Thanks again for everything!
20210530_141300.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone!

I just finished re-painting and re-wiring my dash and was looking at putting it back in the van. The previous owner had a custom fabricated wooden dash that was cut in half by someone else so I wanted to go back to stock. That required me repairing the current wiring harness. Luckily I have the manual and used a highlighter to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

I was reverifying my connections when I noticed a stripped white/red wire coming through the firewall on the driver side that wasn't connected to anything. I followed it through the firewall to a 2-wire resistor and then the wire is butt-connected to what looks like a stock connector. It seems to be connected to the choke area (see picture below). I looked through the manual and can not find this on any of the wiring diagrams. There's one section that mentions an "electric assist heating element" or "electronic choke", however, I don't know where this would go.

My theory is that the custom wooden dash had several switches, maybe this wire was connected to one of these switches? Does that mean you would manually switch this on when starting the engine from cold? Where would this wire go normally? Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Thanks again for everything!
View attachment 630195
Looks like you are missing a component. I have a 75 passenger car SRM that I am using for info but the wiring should be the same. There should be a little device that bolts to one of the coil hold down bolts that is called a choke controller. That plug that is connected to the white wire should be plugged into one terminal of the choke controller. The other terminal of the terminal (labeled battery) goes to a hot when ign on wire somewhere. That wire is usually in the engine wiring harness not a separate wire. I'll try to include a pic of the controller if I can figure out how to do that on this site. That electric component of the choke is only an assist & is an emissions thing & the controller turns it off after the engine is up to operating temp. If your heat bypass on the exhaust manifold is working properly & provided that the heat bypass in the intake manifold is not completely plugged engine temp will operate the choke just fine.
IMG_0001.JPG

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like you are missing a component. I have a 75 passenger car SRM that I am using for info but the wiring should be the same. There should be a little device that bolts to one of the coil hold down bolts that is called a choke controller. That plug that is connected to the white wire should be plugged into one terminal of the choke controller. The other terminal of the terminal (labeled battery) goes to a hot when ign on wire somewhere. That wire is usually in the engine wiring harness not a separate wire. I'll try to include a pic of the controller if I can figure out how to do that on this site. That electric component of the choke is only an assist & is an emissions thing & the controller turns it off after the engine is up to operating temp. If your heat bypass on the exhaust manifold is working properly & provided that the heat bypass in the intake manifold is not completely plugged engine temp will operate the choke just fine.
Awesome! So there's a chance that I don't even need this wire? Is there a benefit to running it to a switch and just providing 12VDC to it? I guess the fact that the PO took the time to wire this to a switch on the custom wooden dash makes me think the heat bypass prolly isn't working?

Thanks again for the info!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Awesome! So there's a chance that I don't even need this wire? Is there a benefit to running it to a switch and just providing 12VDC to it? I guess the fact that the PO took the time to wire this to a switch on the custom wooden dash makes me think the heat bypass prolly isn't working?

Thanks again for the info!!
A manual switch would work to help the choke open sooner. Most times the heat bypass valve in the manifold is stuck in the open position and/ or the bypass channels in the intake manifold are either partially or completely plugged. If the choke bi-metal spring is working OK the choke will open when the engine reaches full operating temp but that is a bit slow. If the heat bypass in the exhaust manifold is stuck in the closed position it will cause a loss in performance or an overheat problem on one cylinder head. In most cases with a vehicle that old the bypass is long gone or stuck in the open position. If you wire to a switch be sure to use a circuit that has a fuse in it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts