Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, there,

I posted this question over at the 1971-2003 Dodge Van forum and thought I might post it here to see if any of you are familiar with the rear end I have. One of our members has told me it is called a Dana 60. A link was provided for info from another member with the same type of set-up. Is there any trick to removing the large nuts once the axles are removed to get the drums off? Here's my first post below. thanks in advance, Jack.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Hello there,

I am a new member here today and am glad I found Dodge Talk. Hope someone here can help with a question I have about my rear brakes. First, the RV is a Midas Mini class C style Sportsman Van front 1 ton chassis. The rear end is single wheel each side and has the 8 lug wheel pattern with small 8 lug in the center. Don't know the correct name for this, but know I will learn soon enough. My question is about getting to the rear brakes to replace the wheels cylinders and brakes shoes, also may need to have the drums turned. I have the RV raised on jack stands, removed the rear wheels, but the drums do not want to come off like 1/2 ton trucks and cars I have worked on in the past. Please tell me what I need to do in order. I would greatly appreciate any info you can offer.
I need your

Thanks in advance,
Jack
72DodgeRV

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
Not really, they are just a pain to get to somewhat. They shouldn't be very tight I think, just a little past snug IIRC. I don't remember if anyone sells sockets to fit them or not, I think I used a screwdriver and a hammer to tap the nut loose last time I took one apart.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Harbor freight/Napa have this socket. These are Bendix type rear ends and while i am close to my brother man SPEED...use the socket...trust me.

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
Harbor freight/Napa have this socket. These are Bendix type rear ends and while i am close to my brother man SPEED...use the socket...trust me.
Lol, I will agree, if you can get the socket, get it :) Makes life much easier, and you won't risk scarring anything up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you guys know the size socket I should ask for? Should I tell them it's for a 72 Dodge 1 ton rear axle spanner nut? Just thought I would ask here first, so I'm clear. Thanks, Jack

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The one i am holding in my hand reads as 2 9/16. This is for a Dana 60. When you buy one you will need (or at least i use one) a 1/2" to 3/4 socket adapter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys,

I got the drums off thanks to you. :tup: Shoes and hardware were ok on both sides with still a lot of meat on them and drums were ok with only needing some scuffing up for better grabbing. The problem was bad wheels cylinders and inner seals leaking into the brakes. Oil and fluid in there. The parts were in stock at Napa and I am going to re-pack the bearings, which were ok too, install seals and cylinders and the rest, bleed and adjust the brakes. Man, this old boy should stop on a dime now. Keep you updated when finished.

Jack

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
nice work...btw what size were your wheel cylinders?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.