DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody! I'm new to Dodge Talk and this is my first post. I just bought a 68 Dart GSS 440. Needs a restoration, but a solid Ca. car. Just wondering if anybody knows any history or has info on these cars? Been trying to research on the net, but not a lot there cause they are so rare. Anything would be appreciated. Thanks, Roger

P.S. My other Mopars are:
72 'Cuda 340 4spd
73 Duster modded slant 6
74 Duster 340 clone project in the works
95 Neon
97 Ram 4X4

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
GSS? As in the Mr. Norm's 440 Dart????

WOW, that really is a rare car! Got any pics for us????

I'll post some historical info on the car shortly, if I can find anything of interest.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
GSS stands for Grand Spaulding Sport and was built by Norm Krauss (Mr. Norm) at his Grand Spaulding Dodge dealer....I think in Chicago or Detroit.

Chrysler said that a 440 wouldn't fit in an A-body Dart, but Mr. Norm said he could, so with Chrysler's blessing....he did it!!!

I suggest you get a hold of Galen Govier (the Mopar numbers guru) and have him run the VIN and the fender plate numbers to truly see what you have. I'm not sure how you could contact Mr. Norm...but he's still around. Heck I was sitting right next to the guy at the VIP luncheon in Carlisle last year.

Galen's website is: www.gvgovier.com

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
http://www.mrnorms.com/

That is Mr. Norm's website. Yes, he's still around and posting info there from what I can tell.

It has some historical background on his various projects over the years, including the 440 Dart GSS.

1968:

Mr. Norm developed the first 440 Dart GSS that became the prototype for the factory M Code 440 Dart GTS.

·
Registered
98 Posts
'68 440 Dart

I don't think Galen Gouvier will help with VIN research since these things were delivered to Grand Spaulding as factory 383 cars. Chrysler never had a doubt that the 440 would fit since the 1967 car was designed with a B block engine in mind. They were a little nervous about that much engine in that little car with insurance companies nailing everyone to the wall with high rates in those days. In 1969, they put their own 440 in the Dart and 'Cuda A body since GM was doing the 396/427 in the Camaro and Ford had already put a 428 Cobra Jet in a Mustang. They were just trying to keep up with the trend. I had a factory '69 'Cuda 383 in the unusual coupe body and wondered how strong it would have been with a 440.
Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 1969 Dart GTS and my father has a 1967 Dart GSS... Both are Drag cars my dad's runs 6.40's in the 1/8 w/ 100 lbs ballast in the car.. Due to not having a certified roll cage. Mine is almost done... It should run 7.20's-7.30's...We belive that my dads has been a race car since it was new. Mine was owned by my dads friend from the mid 70's till the early 90's was sold to a farmer where it sat outside a pole barn for about 10 years and inside for about 5. I bought it Mar '05 sandblasted the whole underside in April painted the unerside last week. Hope to have it running by June!!!! can't wait It'll be a big jump from my 12 sec v-6 Ram

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I recently sent the numbers to Galen, but haven't received a reply yet. Here's a pic of "Norm". Like I said, it needs restoration. It's been through the "Hotrod Wars". Pretty sure it was drag raced when it was in Ca.

Attachments

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
It looks like it's in pretty good shape overall though. Looks like it's missing the emblems. Those might be hard to find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've already got the emblem thing figured out. Just need to order 2 "GTS" emblem sets to get 2 S's. One black set, one red set. Will just be pretty costly. $35 a set x 8. Maybe they would even let me substitute the T for another S?

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Gettin' those from Year One? I think the trunk letters are different than the fender letters. I'd give them a jingle and tell them what you have....they might cut you a break and let you buy the letters "GSS" as a set instead buying all those "GTS" sets.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Race car?

We turned the '69 Cuda into a quasi race car, although the engine was stock and never had the heads off of it. Went high 12's at 105 mph on the 80,000 mile motor! LOL! Here's a pic of it in race car trim.
Dart looks good, although the rear wheel wells look like the ones on the SS/BA(SS/A now) Hemi cars from '68, and the hood is flat unlike the GTS cars of
'68. Wonder what happened to it?
Joe

Attachments

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
With regard to the GSS letters, the middle "S" was red, which will make replacing the badges even harder.

EDIT: nevermind, read your last post and see you've already got a plan for that.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The hood is not the original one for the car. Also, the car was originally SS1 yellow. And yes, the rear wheel openings have been cut like the SS Darts. It also has fenderwell headers. At least they didn't go overboard on cutting out the inner fenders! Also has a sunroof. Plan on putting a complete top from another car on. Probably would be the best fix. I look at this as being a L-O-N-G term project! LOL

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Great project!! I'm sure galen can verify fender tag or build sheet info to help back up records that mr Norm probably still has.

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
Wagonmaster said:
We turned the '69 Cuda into a quasi race car, although the engine was stock and never had the heads off of it. Went high 12's at 105 mph on the 80,000 mile motor! LOL! Here's a pic of it in race car trim.
Dart looks good, although the rear wheel wells look like the ones on the SS/BA(SS/A now) Hemi cars from '68, and the hood is flat unlike the GTS cars of
'68. Wonder what happened to it?
Joe
Nice car! Can't say much about the tow vehicle :rck: :help: :rck: :thatfunny

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just a little update on "Norm". Heard from Galen today, he verified it IS a GSS car, told me who the original purchaser was, and said there is a guy in Ca. that has the complete portfolio of documents on the car that I can purchase!! WOOOOHOOOO!!!! Also purchased 2 Darts over the weekend for parts, a 68 and a 69.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.