DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm working a deal on buying a 1966 Dodge Charger from a buddy of mine and need some info about the car. Look at the photos and let me know what you all think would be the hardest parts to replace and what you think a car like this is worth? I don't have a lot of info on the car yet as we have both been busy and he is in another state.
Thanks, Marty

·
Registered
726 Posts
Looks pretty clean and complete from the photos. I don't know what production numbers were, but a guy did not see that many of them back in the day so I think they were low numbers of them built.

What's his price? What engine, 318? Doesn't look like a big block.

I had a friend who bought a green one in about '72 and drove it for years. I have no idea what he ever did with it though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He had it listed for $5,200 and it has the 318 but I don't know much more then that yet.

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
looks like a great project

I don't know how hard to find dash covers are for that model, but from what I can see, it looks pretty straight and complete

how is the frame ?

·
AirFuelEddie
5,443 Posts
I would be concerned about the availability of re-pop sheetmetal first. I dont know a lot about those years of B-Bodies. I would also be very concerned about the amount of chrome and trim, stainless trim, emblems, dash trim&Chrome ect,, those parts may or may not be available in reproduction. This means you will spend a small fortune on the proper restoration of these components, that year Charger had a lot of trim. It's a sweet MoPar! 1966 David Pearson won the Points Championship in a 66 Charger for Cotton Owens racing I think. With 426 HemiHead Power of course. Good Luck Another thing. I also seem to remember that was the first production car designed with a spoiler integrated into the rear end and available from Mother as an option, just like the Nascar dictator, announced that year as a homologation requirement. Once again Chrysler was 'On It"!!:rck:

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
year one has parts www.yearone.com the tail light assy will cost you i think the price is good

·
Love my 66 monaco 500
1,239 Posts
I would bet the tail light lenses will be hard to find and expensive.
The 318 is the old style (polly), parts are a little harder to find.
The Wiand 4bbl manifold isn't very good, the stock '60 4bbl manifold is better (personal experience)
The trans uses the old type converter, like the push button 727s but you can change the stator support and use a '67 up converter. (also personal experience)
I would convert to a dual master cylinder. (still to be done on my '66 C body)
Cool car and it sounds like a reasonable price to me too.
My $.02

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
year one sells the tail assy the parts are alittle more than some but i use to sell them and the parts are a good quality

loco

·
rowdymopar
481 Posts
Check out the sheet metal real good . Rear quarter Panels, around wheel lip & behind rear wheel , front fender corners lower corner were fender meets the door or packer panel , look underneith at the quarterpanels same areas, , remember body work is one of if not the MOST EXPENSIVE thing to have done to a Vintage car ,
Unless your willing to do it yourself it is nothing to sink 10 - 15,000 + into panel replacement & paint by a professional body man ( If you can find one who will do it Most what Insurance work ) Another thing is check out the frame rails as best you can .Check out the truck area PULL up the mat & look , Take a magnet with you & see how well it sticks this will determine the amount of body filler / Bondo is pressent is any , take a screw driver , ect & poke around underneither to see if there is any rott in frame or floorboards, ect . also look behind rare bumper theres a panel there check it for rust, Alsot of the small trim parts are out there Ebay , swap meets , No big deal they made a SH!T Load of Chargers in 66-67 & some Coronet parts innerchange . Being your in Arizona you probley wont have the RUST issues as We here in the mid WEST have The price is fair I can decode the VIN & engine code #'s if you need to see if it is all Orig . on the 318 in 66 the valve cover bolts should run through the center of the valve covers called Poly 318 small block last year for it was 66 in 67 Chrysler released the LA small block witch ran until 1998/99 or so. The Tail lights are probley the most expensive trim piece to get replaced on this era Chergers .

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies guys! I have talked to my buddy some more about the car and he told me he picked the car up last year in April and he beilives the motor & Trans were rebuilt my the owner before him. He told me it drives good for a car that old and that the body from what he has seen is pretty much rust free but he thinks it may have had some body work done years ago. And my brother does body work for a living so I'm covered in that area.
The problems that he knows of are that the headlight covers do not work and the dash lights are out. He also said like everyone here has said that the few trim parts it does need are the ones that would cost the most to replace.
He said the lowest he would go was $4,800 and he is even willing to bring the car to me as he is in NM. Here is the vin. number XP29E61175363.
I'm waiting for some more photos of the car and he is going to take the car to a shop and put it on the lift to take photos of the chassis.

Again guys thanks for all of the input!!

·
I pickle they.
737 Posts
post up at 66-67charger.com Very helpful bunch of guys... Parts for these cars are not cheap, but they are pretty damned cool cars. I have a 66 myself.

Again, that website is pretty fantastic.

·
I pickle they.
737 Posts
BTW, really is no available re-popped sheetmetal. We can get floors and I believe a couple of small patch panels.

A few companies are now making repro dash parts, and taillight lenses.

·
Hemi 4x4/Challenger T/A
1,485 Posts
Body Type: X = Dodge Charger
Price Class: P = Premium
Body Type: 29 = 2 Door Sports Hardtop
Engine: E = 318 230HP 1-2BBL 8 CYL
Year: 6 = 1966
Sequence Number: 175363 = 75363rd Vehicle Built

·
Hemi 4x4/Challenger T/A
1,485 Posts
Get up under the car, especially behind the rear wheels, looking for rot.
BTW, I second lows' recommendation on the website. Awesome job they do there.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks I'll check out that site out!!

·
rowdymopar
481 Posts
VIN DECODE; X = Charger P = Premium 29 = 2 door Sports Hardtop E = 318 V8 ( 2 bbl carb ) 6= 1966 1 = Lynch Road MI. Assembley Plant digits 8-13 are Assembley plant seqential Serial Numbers useully mean order car came down the line these can also be broke down to find out witch day of the month the car car was built , ect. . There is another tag ( DATA PLATE ) on the left ( drivers side ) inner fender well inside the engine compartment it has alot more letters & numbers it acctually can give alot more details on the car Orig , color , trim ,options, ect , ect.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
the car doesn't look that bad in the photos but as other's mentioned look under it and make sure there isn't any frame rot or floor pans that need replaced.

you might be able to use some repo sheetmetal for a 1967 Coronet to take care of any outside rust problems.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Autobody Specialties in Middlefield CT makes some patch panels for the 66-67 Chargers.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Marty,
looks like most things you need to get is available from one source or another. For example, the "horse-shoe" grille molding that's missing in one picture is being reproduced by Mike over at BE&A.. http://www.beaparts.com/

I think the dash pads are even being reproduced, but I'll have to check............

Good luck. Not sure if you know about it, but there are numerous forums as well that deal with 1st generation Chargers... Most noteably

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php

http://www.dodgecharger.org/home.html

Hope this helps.. If you're in the Houston area, look us up..
www.houstonmopars.org

Cheers,
Troy

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I want to thank you all for your replies about the Charger! But after giving it lots of thought my son & I are going to pass on buying the car and work on getting the 2 Duster's we have done.
It's a good price on the car and if anyone here wants the info about buying the car let me know and I'll pass it onto you.
The guy that owns it is a buddy of mine from way back and he is very up front about what the car needs and what not.
Just won't work for us at this time, hate to let it go but that's life some times..
Again thanks for the replies!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.