DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1959 D100 Engine Swap

15K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  englandmj7 
#1 ·
I'm new to the forums and completely uneducated about older Dodge pickups. I recently acquired a 1959 D100 (or at least I'm pretty positive that's what it is). There is an unbelievable lack of information on them on the internet. Anyone else own one, or are familiar with them?

The engine is in pretty poor shape and I'm considering having a newer Hemi put in. Problem is I don't even know where to start researching!

#2 ·
Welcome, I'll try to help as best I can.
Most everything you need is available for your truck you just have to become one with your PC on some things.

AS far as the Hemi is concerned 07-newer if I remember correctly are the ones to get if you want improvement & not just OOO aah it's a Hemi
That a lot of work to get the same power & 5-7 MPG less than a carbed 5.9 Magnum with a 518 when using the early gas hog 5.7
Good luck

#5 ·
I suppose around $10k. Looking at engine swaps with a V6 Hemi but I have seen some salvage/damaged early 2000s SRT-10 pickups and was considering buying one and dropping the 59 on top....a Viper engine hidden under a rusted D100 hood sounds pretty appealing ;)

#7 ·
6 speed of course?
Aeromotive can build your tank & provide everything to get fuel to it

If you can find one that's been rolled I'd knock the ends of the frame off & put the 59 ones on & start fitting the cab & sheetmetal to a shortened frame

#9 ·
LA swap

A small block swap would be the cheapest/ easiest swap to do for bang for yer buck. I would go with a 360 they are just as plentiful as a 318 and make a lot more power just pull one out of a 2wd/4wd D150 from the 70s for a couple hundred bucks and make sure it turns over and just get it running. I have done plenty engine swaps and if you dont try to get it under its own power most just let it sit "waiting for someone to rebuild it" that can come ater dont dump a bunch of money into something experimental.

I built a 57 D100 its basically the same truck you have but the fenders/hood/ grill are different. the frame/drivetrain/ cab are basically the same. the motor mounts are not hard to fab up even if you have a buddy weld some up real quick.

Here is a link to a forum build thread on my 57 might put things a little more into perspective. my cost to put my own 360/727 in my truck was probabily a couple hundred bucks in materials and random things to change over and clean it up. but i scored the trans/ motor for about $300 bucks. I see them go for that all the time on craigslist already pulled, even though i personally would want a junker running vehicle to pull it out of. then less surprises.

http://fordodgetrucksonly.forumotion.com/t26-1957-dodge-penny-build-thread

#10 ·
A small block swap would be the cheapest/ easiest swap to do for bang for yer buck. I would go with a 360 they are just as plentiful as a 318 and make a lot more power just pull one out of a 2wd/4wd D150 from the 70s for a couple hundred bucks and make sure it turns over and just get it running. I have done plenty engine swaps and if you dont try to get it under its own power most just let it sit "waiting for someone to rebuild it" that can come ater dont dump a bunch of money into something experimental.

I built a 57 D100 its basically the same truck you have but the fenders/hood/ grill are different. the frame/drivetrain/ cab are basically the same. the motor mounts are not hard to fab up even if you have a buddy weld some up real quick.

Here is a link to a forum build thread on my 57 might put things a little more into perspective. my cost to put my own 360/727 in my truck was probabily a couple hundred bucks in materials and random things to change over and clean it up. but i scored the trans/ motor for about $300 bucks. I see them go for that all the time on craigslist already pulled, even though i personally would want a junker running vehicle to pull it out of. then less surprises.
Great read on your 57 build, thanks for the link!

What did you have to consider in terms of the frame and suspension? Doesn't mention it in the thread but it looks like you did some framework...

#12 ·
Nope frame and suspension are all stock no modifications necessary. except notching for the headers but it was optional just really close didnt like the look without the notch. but i had manifolds on it for a year or so and they fit fine.
Since I don't have the knowledge/garage/tools/time to rebuild or repair an engine myself, you think my best bet is buying a 70s D150 and pulling the engine and transmission out of it? Seems like a rebuilt or crate 360 is >$8k

#13 ·
yup

You should be able to do a whole swap with a few basic tools and some good research. for under a grand alot less than 8Gs plus what ever you want to pay to have it put in. if you are made of money then go for it... but I find this a really easy thing to do. they biggest trick is the mounts and with a sixpack of beer a buddy with a welder and some extra steel laying around those should not be that big of a deal. its easier to get a setup out of a already running rig then you get; motor/trans/ wiring/ drive shaft (that can be shortened at a driveline shop for usually around $100) alot cheaper than trying to hunt down all the pieces individually and get a crate engine. if you have everything in and done it is alot easier to just swap to new stuff over time and you know it will fit.

The best source for information on these trucks you can find is over on the HAMB message board just explore around and ask questions its probably the most hidden abundant source of info on these on the internet. I thought i knew alot about these and it seams I learn something new everyday from this place.
Here is a link to a basic picture thread, but do some snooping around with the search option at the top of the page and there are hundreds of builds on these and so much knowledge from many that are going through the same stuff you are http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=752370&highlight=dodge+trucks

#14 ·
You should be able to do a whole swap with a few basic tools and some good research. for under a grand alot less than 8Gs plus what ever you want to pay to have it put in. if you are made of money then go for it... but I find this a really easy thing to do. they biggest trick is the mounts and with a sixpack of beer a buddy with a welder and some extra steel laying around those should not be that big of a deal. its easier to get a setup out of a already running rig then you get; motor/trans/ wiring/ drive shaft (that can be shortened at a driveline shop for usually around $100) alot cheaper than trying to hunt down all the pieces individually and get a crate engine. if you have everything in and done it is alot easier to just swap to new stuff over time and you know it will fit.

The best source for information on these trucks you can find is over on the HAMB message board just explore around and ask questions its probably the most hidden abundant source of info on these on the internet. I thought i knew alot about these and it seams I learn something new everyday from this place.
Here is a link to a basic picture thread, but do some snooping around with the search option at the top of the page and there are hundreds of builds on these and so much knowledge from many that are going through the same stuff you are http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=752370&highlight=dodge+trucks
Definitely not made of money haha. That's really helpful, thank you. I've browsed through the HAMB message board before but that particular thread has an amazing amount of pictures and info. I will be sure to register!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.