DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have made some more progress on my 1950 Dodge Panel Van. Yup... It's been another year and what a year it's been. My wife and I had a baby late last June and that pretty much put a hold on any work in my garage. Anyway, the boy is eight months old now and the wife has a job where she doesn't work retail hours... So, I am allowed to be in the garage more:) Plus, I have convinced her we need to get this Panel Van done & gone before we move out of this house and into a bigger one ;)

So... that said... It looks like my previous thread (http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530361) was closed from lack of updates. Totally makes sense :)

I'll post pictures in a bit, but I wanted to at least start another thread so I have a place to post them.

**In case you want more pictures, here's the link to my Photobucket album: http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/derricklaukaitis/library/1950 Dodge Panel Van**

I've got a new center console, front seats mounted so that the driver is actually centered on the steering wheel ;) , an electrically reclining third row (rear-facing) seat, pinch-weld style weatherstripping on the front doors, etc.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So... After a long hiatus, I cleaned up the garage and took a step back to re-evaluate what needed to be done to get this thing rolling. I started by re-engineering the weatherstripping. It needed to be done because the stock weatherstripping simply would not work after I added the late-model door latches.

Out came the cardboard, a sharpie, my trusty Milwaukee Hackzall, a cutoff wheel, tape measure, welder and a 4'x4' sheet of 16ga steel. Here are some shots of the progress (not necessarily the best progression, but they kind of show what I did)...

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More Pictures... (Sorry for the blurred ones :( )

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The seat belts are almost all mounted. The lower mounts for the second and third rows are all that remain, but I need to plan the interior a bit further so I can make those mounts in the correct places first.

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I started to deal with the seat belts, I realized there was an issue with how the third row folds down. I had make a fixed position mount for that third row with a pretty nice slant so it sat comfortably reclined. Well, it didn't work so well once I folded the seat. The seat was very noticeably slanted as well. So, I cut apart an electric seat mechanism and proceeded to re-engineer the seat base for that third row. This is what I ended up with.

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll have to figure out where the pictures are of me re-doing the mounts for the front seats... But trust me, they're re-done. Anyway... The center console is ready for carpet now too.

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
More pictures...

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That pretty much catches everyone up. I hope to take more pictures tonight and upload them soon.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No pictures of the progress today... But I am making sone headeay on building a framework for the interior. I'm building armrests for the rear two rows of seating as well as a platform for between the two rows since the third row folds flat. This way there will be a (semi) level floor in the back for cargo.
It's nice to see that the project is finally coming together nicely. I'll tell you, it's been in my garage entirely too long! It'll be good to get in it and be able to actually start it up instead of just making motor sounds with my mouth ;) The boy did give me a thumbs up last night though (well, she gave it to Mommy, but she texted it to me since I was in the garage;) )

Attachments

·
Registered
777 Posts
MIGHTILY impressed on those doors. I should have you rebuild my Ramcharger doors! :tup:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This has been a fun project (to say the least!)... but It's taken so long that all I want is for it to be done and gone. I'm in the garage working on the framework for the interior again today. I'll take and upload some pictures in a bit... as soon as I can see some measurable progress;) Thank you for the kind words!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Trying to upload from the phone is interesting... But it does work, now that I have figured it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some pictures of the progress on the interior framing. Also including a few shots of what my seat belt mounts looked like before I welded them into the truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some new progress pics... These are of the work on the floor in the rear of the van. I'll be adding a set of gas struts and a floor to the inside of the storage bin between the seats. The floor and storage bin will be covered in carpet.

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was wandering through the junkyard the other day when I spotted what will end up being the armrest and door handles on my front doors. They came off the back doors on a Chrysler Concorde (I didn't check the year, but I'm guessing it was an '03 or '04).

I discected them today and am hoping I have all the beginnings of some decent door panels. I'll be painting the pho wood grain a satin black to match what I did on the dash. I'll also re-cover everything on the door panel in fresh vinyl to match what I'll put on the upper half of the walls.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Phone is finally working to upload pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
777 Posts
You're still doing the SAS, 44" boggers, and blown 440, right? :rck:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You're still doing the SAS, 44" boggers, and blown 440, right?
Lol... Right! ;) Nope... Lifting this truck has never been the plan. It'll ride nice and low on 20" torque thrust wheels. Motor will be a 2002 Magnum 5.9L (gas) out of a wrecked Ram. Nothing but naturally aspirated reliable MPFI goodness for this truck.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.