yeah, that was a heck of a storm we had = tons of people lost power etc

glad the truck came thru OK

funny how those little voices in your head are right ... same here

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Ram Man:

Some time those little voices and I have a sing along. :thatfunny On a bright note, we had this widow maker that's been hangin around for the last several years. Big sucker, about a good 20' long. It was in the tree line that seperates my property from my lovely neighbor, Cunswaylow. It came down during that storm. Part was on my fence (chain link).

Well yesterday, I used my little back hoe to lift it off and take it to our burn pile. The fence popped back up with only minor damage (I don't have any top runners on it). This morning, while letting the critters out, I went back to check it out and make sure. That's when I saw what happened.

When the widow maker came down, it totaled Cunswaylow's dog run, and maybe damaged part of her house. :bman: :cheerl: :thatfunny :rck: :gr_patrio Now I have to wait and see if she'll try and pin it on me. :thatfunny

·
The Green Machine
1,722 Posts
Glad to see ya still posting about your Beast. I love that thing, good luck with it :tup:

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
is that the back end of a duce and a half i see in the pic? where did you get that thing? and how much do they go for if you dont mind me asking.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
03ramit1:

Good eye. Yep, it's a deuce alrighty. I even have a M105 trailer for it. What are they goin for these days????? That's a good question. Ya used to be able to get a decent one from GL for around $2K, but not any more. A runner can fetch anywhere from $5K to $12K. Usually, the lower end one need a whole lot of work too.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Ram Man:

Yeah, me too (also heavy equipment). I was an engineer, in an engineer unit. As punishment, they made me drive a M49C, 2 1/2 ton tanker. The things I would do to it to try and deadline it cause I wasn't in the mood to drive it, and it kept comming back for more. :thatfunny A guy over on the Steel Soldier site went to Iran, and while there, came across a bombed out deuce that use to belong to the Iranian army. For grins he messed with it and got it running, and was driving it around. It looked like Swiss cheese too. :thatfunny :gr_patrio

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
when i was in korea i was able to drive anything (to enclude) and smaller than a 60 class tank. i have been through the army recovery school. (thats a fun school) i have driven 88's (track recovery vehicle) hemtt, 5 tons, lmtv's hummv's just about anything you can drive i have driven it. and it was so much fun too.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Beast Update.

Hey:

Took the Beast to a MV show in Volo, Illinoisssssss at the end of August. What a bear. Didn't even know if it would start (I had to install a new starter solenoid & do some rewiring :crazy: ). My son was doing his best to make it a major chore too. I was at the point where I wasn't going to go, but the wife informed me I was. What a woman I married. :rck:

I had gotten new weatherstripping for the rear hatch windows. Having knowledge of removing window glass, I took the hatch to a local glass shop so they could do it. While waiting for the stripping to come from Vintage, I figured I'd do the body work and paint the hatch.

:help: That's when I made a new discovery. There was weatherstripping around the edges of the hatch too. As I removed it, I freaked! Most of the metal was rusted thru the inner skin. Okay, I got a new torch and I need practice. I'm welding new plates on and all of a sudden, I notice flames shooting out from the other side of the hatch. There was a BIG patch of Bondo on fire. :thatfunny I'm so happy.

Screw it, here I am, dicking around with this hatch, and the deadline is fast approaching. Like 4 days until the show and I still have the hatch. I threw some Bondo back on, primed, sanded & primed some more. I plan on removing the Bondo again and doing the job right. I'll get some of that non lead, lead from Eastwood's. I bring the hatch back to the glass shop with the new weatherstripping. 3 days until the show.

The next afternoon, I get a call from the glass shop. That's the wrong weatherstripping. Now know this, when I got the Beast, the ONLY glass intact on it was the rear hatch. It's the original glass. He's got to cut me new glass, or I could wait until I get it straight with Vintage. 2 days until the show. The Beast is also STILL in pieces. CUT SOME GLASS. (It had been about 3 weeks from when I had 1st brought the hatch in, so the original stripping was long gone, via garbage.)

While reinstalling the Beast's parts, I also discovered that the correct runningboard I got for the drivers side doesn't fit due to a growth underneath. Now I have another project, figure out what the heck it is/does. On the bright side, I finally know what I have in the way of drive line. I also discovered why I only have 4WD in low only. It's also an easy correction. :D I even got gasket/seal sets for the former mystery trans & T Case, and I'm working on getting the transfer linkage.

Okay, okay, I know this is all ya really care about, PICTURES! :thatfunny

Attachments

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Ram Man:

Oh, I've threatened Maynard (my son, short for Maynard G. Krebs) that I was going to get rid of it. ;) Actually, several times now, but truth be known, it ain't gonna happen, or at least until I finish it. After all I've gone thru to get this far, and finding all those parts. I even ordered a stencil kit from Rick Larsen, but he's seems to have forgotten about me since he got my check back last October. :mad:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Bump, this thing is AWESOME

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Ram Man:

Those are the most recent pics of the Beast. We did get the nasty tent off of it today, and will hopefully start back working on it. I got new seals & gaskets for the tranny & T-case, and got the correct linkage for the T-case so I'll be able to have 4WD in high gear too.

Been trying to locate lenses for the headlight buckets so I can do a HID type bulb thing, but that seems to have become Mission Impossible. Hey, I was able to post back at the D section again. :rck: Don't ask me what I did or what happened, it just works now. :huh:

Later

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
"2nd Cruise Of This Season"

The 1st cruise was a MAJOR flop. Ended up breakin down & the Veast spent the NEXT moth & a half in a shop where some real nice person took the time & care TO BUST OUT ALL THE GAUGES! :VHOT: Anywho, we took the Beast to a local show last week. Enjoy! BTW, this section is DEAD!

DARN! New camera, rez to high! The smallest I can set the camera for is 1504 X 1000. BUMMER!

·
The Green Machine
1,722 Posts
Ugg said:
...where some real nice person took the time & care TO BUST OUT ALL THE GAUGES! :VHOT:

DARN! New camera, rez to high! The smallest I can set the camera for is 1504 X 1000. BUMMER!
Damn man, that sucks - I can't understand the mentality of some people...

About the picture size thing - go to the link below and download the ImageResizer tool (it's free from Microsoft). Take the pics in whatever size you want on the camera, load them to your PC, then run that tool. It will let you resize the pics to one of three different sizes and then post away :D

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Hey Ed:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! This tool used to be on ME, & when I went to XP, well, it was gone. I asked around how to do it & got tons of wrong directions. Let's see if I did it right now. :thatfunny

Attachments

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
YAY! :gr_patrio

61 - 80 of 84 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.