DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well let me get this thing started. As you can see from my signature, I have a 1942 WC 53. In English, that means it's a Dodge 3/4 ton, 4X4 Carryall. A Carryall is what they used to call SUV's. I am also a member of the National MVPA (Military Vehicle Preservation Association), as well as a local chapter in the Chicago Metro area. If anyone's interested in joining, contact me by PM & I'll send ya the info.

Info on the Beast. There were 8700 of the 3/4 ton's made thru WW II. There is a 1/2 ton 4X4 version that was made in 1941 of which there were 15,000 made. It is a WC 51. They had 6V electrical systems where as the 3/4 tons had 12v systems. They were originally used for radio communication & recon. They pulled a trailer that held batteries for the radios until about 1943, when the figured out how to use the truck to power the radio. They have a desk that pulls out from the dash, & there's supposed to be one for the rear, for the radio.

Of course, since it was enclosed, officers took them over as command cars. Two were even turned into limo's. They actually added a door per side, mounted a spotlight & roofrack. Those two have since disappeared off the face of the earth. They came with 6 cyl's, 4 spd's & 5:96 gears so they could go anywhere, just not fast. They were full time 4WD. They had a low & high range. They were used in every theater of operations. The Beast has a 318, 5 spd & ac, yes, ac. I also changed the gears to 4:86's so I can cruise the breezeway.

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
so . . .

where's the pic ???

(LOL)

I have an old Army radio (its an R390) but I'm not sure it was used in your type truck

radio still works great

I even have the original manual

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ram Man:

When I get this F'n Dell fixed & am able to post pictures without it freezin up I'll post some. From what I understand, they used a whole bank of radio's, & they were big. Lot's O tubes. :D Yours looks like the more compact model, probably after 43. Am I right? BTW, the Beast is either #152, or 157 of 8700. Here's a couple of sites on the "53" so you can get an idea of what it is & what it looks like. Also, I was wrong, the 1/2 ton'ers were WC 10's. http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~djr/3q.html
http://www.wc53.com/

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ram Man:

Ya might find some info on your radio here, or at least where to find that info. http://www.olive-drab.com/index.php . I gotta ton of sites dealin with WW II Dodges, WW II Trucks & equipment, military vehicles of all types & ages, Power Wagons, parts for em, clubs to join, ect. All over the world too. If anyone's interested, just let me know via PM.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ram Man:

Cool. So it's a late commer, after WW II. I added that link to my group, never have enough info. :D I got a site for military manuals too if your interested.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Banned
1,380 Posts
Hey Ugg, why dont you send ram man or me or someone a pic of "The beast" and we can post it for you if youd like. My dell actually lets me post pics in my garage but never tried one in a thread so if you send me it we shall see if she works.

Later
John

btw: good to see you postin and not lurkin!

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'm gonna try & post some pictures of the Beast. Wish me luck Well, I couldn't do it that way, so let me try this way. Oh well, that didn't work either. Sorry.

·
Banned
1,380 Posts
That Beast looks pretty Beastly Ugg. I like it. If it wasnt for the shadow that would be cast over your apperance due to lurkiness., lol, I would say all you need in that Beast/Durango pic is you standing right in the middle of them like a BIG DAWG! I think some tinted windows would really set The Beast off in my opinion. What are your future plans with it?

later
John

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So ya like the Beast huh? Sorry, my son's got dibs on it 1st. Plans for it? Well, I want it to look as much as it did when it 1st was built as possible. After we get the dent out, I'd like to sandblast it & repaint it a lusterless OD, & put on all it's proper markings. Now the interior is a different story. It'll never be original again, since it has the 318, ect, ect. I want it as comfy as I can get it inside. I'm even thinking of power windows. Since we're in a MV club, I want to do parades & static displays with the club. I wish they'da installed an auto instead of a 5 spd. I also want to take it where it's meant to go. :D I also want to be able to tow my TT with it. Maybe I'll paint it a lusterless OD too? :thatfunny I like the picture of my D with the Beast. The Grandaddy of the D, & the D. :thatfunny

There's this guy in NY, Paul is his name. He has a 53 also. He did a major restore & upgrade to his. Here's his site address. He has a slideshow on it that takes about 10-15 minutes to see. Is it F'n NEAT! http://imageevent.com/paulandtam/1943dodgecarryall?z=2&l=0&c=3&n=1&m=18&w=4&x=0&p=0 Enjoy.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
T:

Does that mean ya like it? :dunno:

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
T:

Naw, not that much of a project. It's already mechanicly sound. All I need to do is to locate some parts to make the body complete & correct, sandblast it, paint it, & put the markings on it. There's also the mods to the interior. All I need to do is rob a bank or win the lotto or somethin.:evillaugh Maybe become a bigamist & marry rich? I'm sure my wife would okay it.:evillaugh

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.