DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally had to break down and rebuild the tranny in my '97. It has been acting up since last winter, when I bought the truck.

At first, I noticed when I hammered on the gas to pass traffic and then let off a bit afterwards, the tranny would hunt for the right gear for a while. Also, as she shifted into overdrive and locked in the converter, I could slip the transmission by applying a little gas sometimes. This was only if she went gently into overdrive.
If I was getting on the gas - going fast - and went into overdrive, it was solid every time.

Like I said, things had been this way for a year. I was driving on eggshells, trying to make her last one more month at a time. A fluid and filter change had helped a bit right after I bought the truck, but it was obvious the tranny was going south.

I drove to work Tuesday with no issues. Nothing unusual whatsoever.
I left work Tuesday afternoon and only had first gear, unlimited RPMs. I shifted from 'D' to '2' and she shifted into second that's the only choice she had left. I had to coax her into second every time I stopped for the entire 20 mile trip home. When I got home I checked fluids and electrical connections to no avail.
I called around all of the local shops. Most were $1700 to $1750, and wouldn't warranty with my lifted truck. I finally found a shop that gave a 1 year 12,000 mile warranty. I called a few friends in the auto fix-it business and the reports were good.
The job was finished Thursday evening. $1854.68. He also threw in some sort of valve to make oil circulate in Park.

There is a distinct 'whine' in first gear only now - something I didn't have before, like the sound of driving in reverse with a manual transmission.

I called the shop back and they said not to worry about it unless it gets louder.

So... There you go. It now shifts like I expect it should, rather than all over the place.
I do recommend trying a fluid and filter change using the right fluid first, it definitely made mine last a year longer. It was slipping like mad when I bought it.

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
Low gear whine is normal in a 46RE due to gear reduction ...............as long as it was there before (if they rebuilt the original trans.) and like they said,it doesn't get any louder.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The whine was never there before. The shop said they rebuilt my old tranny (no pre-built core), but the owner said they replaced some type of aluminum gear inside the case with a steel one. He said that may cause the whine.

Also, while driving through the parking lot slowly at lunch today, the tranny slipped while in first - engine rpm's jumped like it went into neutral and right back into first. Only lasted a second, but freaked me out.

Does the aluminum gear thing sound right to you, Tactransman? Also, would you suggest I take the truck back so they can hear the whine? I can hear it clearly over the flowmasters w/ no cat.

Thanks!

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
The whine was never there before. The shop said they rebuilt my old tranny (no pre-built core), but the owner said they replaced some type of aluminum gear inside the case with a steel one. He said that may cause the whine.

I would find out what he is talking about.The only thing I can think of would be the front planetary gear (aluminum to steel) but that would be necessary for a diesel only.

Also, while driving through the parking lot slowly at lunch today, the tranny slipped while in first - engine rpm's jumped like it went into neutral and right back into first. Only lasted a second, but freaked me out.
I wouldn't worry about that too much,as long as it doesn't do it again.

Does the aluminum gear thing sound right to you, Tactransman? Also, would you suggest I take the truck back so they can hear the whine? I can hear it clearly over the flowmasters w/ no cat.
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.