DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a 180 thermostat last year and ever since the cel is on. I am not saying it is the stat, but I guarantee It is. Has anyone else that has a hemi and is running a low stat had problems? My truck is pinging, pinging out the cats I believe. I know this is bad, it is the sound when you shut your vehicle off hot and it makes little crackles and pings from dissimilar metals and whatnot. I am guessing my truck is running super rich? Or is the computer compensating and leaning it out? I am getting it switched out to avoid any damage. Anyone have any knowledge or anything they would like to add? :help:

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I can drive through the city and hear the noise from the cats. It is a pinging sound and is very annoying. It is NOT detonation, I know for sure, but it is a PING PING PING sound that is about 5 seconds apart. I got out last night when the truck was off and it is coming from the cats. I know it is normal for your engine to make noises when it is hot out and just turned off, but this in my opinion is not normal.

·
Banned
2,489 Posts

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Installed it last fall. Did the key thing 3 times on off everytime and nothing. I used to work on chryslers years ago and I cannot get it to throw anything for the life of me. I don't know the part number on the thermostat I just don't want to get into trouble with it.

·
Banned
2,489 Posts
It's strange that the CEL has been on since last fall and it doesn't show any codes. Did you take it to the dealer to have the CEL checked out?

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No. I have reset the pcm by pulling fuse 23 and the light has come back within a day, or it has taken a week or more, it is very weird.

·
Banned
112 Posts
heres what i learn puting a lower temperature will wear your engine faster i read a bunch of information about this but its better to the factory recommend therostat i'll give you a link when i find it but the colder you run it the badder it is for the engine

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.