DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
living life
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok here is my problem. 2 days ago I picked up my car from Ryan's house with the car trailer. I had to stop at wal-mart after the pick up. During the trip through town (30 mph tops) my truck temp jumped to normal opertaing temps. (the outside temp was 96 degrees)

I installed a 180 tstat a month or so ago. The tstat has been working properly with no overheating. But with the trailer driving around town, my temp jumped to 200 degress. Safe temps but not 180.

What would be the cause of this? Bad fan clutch? Tstat malfuction? Or just normal for 180 tstat and pulling a heavy load? Bad water pump?

Would an e-fan help this? Or do no good.

Does our stock fan clutch engage at 203 degrees? Would a 180 degree fan clutch help?

Thanks DT

·
Thread Derailer
1,854 Posts
i get the same thing
having a 180* tstat just means the stat opens at 180, it doesn't make your cooling system anymore efficient. it's designed to work at a maximum. on hot days, towing, or running hard, my truck usually stays a click or two under halfway. easy driving it'll stay around the 180 mark, nut the block, heads, radiator, etc are all working to keep it at or under the stock temp by design, the lower temp tstat just gets coolant circulating earlier which is only effective if ambient temperature and load keep heat soak low enough for the pump and radiator to maintain the 180-190 temp range. but like i said, a hot day, and a heavy load/foot will build enough heat to keep it operating at stock temps

it's normal, just means your truck is working a little harder to cool off

·
living life
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i get the same thing
having a 180* tstat just means the stat opens at 180, it doesn't make your cooling system anymore efficient. it's designed to work at a maximum. on hot days, towing, or running hard, my truck usually stays a click or two under halfway. easy driving it'll stay around the 180 mark

it's normal, just means your truck is working a little harder to cool off
Ok...this might be a dumb question. But how come it never overheated when I had my stock stat in it, pulling in the same conditions?

·
Thread Derailer
1,854 Posts
like i said, you haven't altered your system's efficiency
it doesn't shift the temperature operating range, it only opens the tstat earlier, it can still get just as hot after you reach a threshold

whatever you're pulling has your rig working hard enough to hit that threshold, 170, 180, 200, 220 tstat, doesn't matter, your cooling system will still allow it to reach a certain temperature after engine temp and ambient temp reach a certain point.
heat transfer will remain the same, no matter when the tstat opens, once it's open, the truck will reach whatever temperature the combo of the conditions provide.

·
Registered
439 Posts
My truck has been doing the same thing, Wondering what it could have been at least it seems to be normal. On really hot days in some heavy traffic or pulling It rises to around its stock temp @195.

I replaced my water pump and thermostat and did a flush when I did my plenum gasket so everything is fresh.

·
RAMMSTEIN
747 Posts
Just curious, what brand 180 stat are u guys running. I installed a jet 180 about a month a a half ago

·
Thread Derailer
1,854 Posts
murray

·
Nut up or Shut up
1,412 Posts
I run a Jet 180 thermostat with a Taurus efan programmed to come on at a little less than the half way mark on the gauge and have the same thing when it gets hot out here in traffic or when I am towing, its normal.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have an e-fan with a 180 stat and my truck and it operates exactly as yours does. Normal highway driving the gauge reads a bit over a 1/4 but if I throw my travel trailer on or start running it hard on the beach in 4wd she will climb to near the halfway mark. Still nothing in the least to become concerned over.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.