DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Hemi Nation
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening, folks. I have a 99 1500 5.9L that is currently bone-stock and I'm looking at installing a few bolt-on parts to increase performance. All the reputable sources say to start with the intake, so my first order of business is the K&N FIPK (followed closely by a 52mm TB, if both the finances and the wife allow). My question is this: After installing the intake, does the heat shield get in the way when trying to get down to the thermostat and change it to a 180 degree version? I've never seen a K&N install in person, so I'm not sure how far into the engine bay the shield goes. I realize that removing the shield to do engine work is probably not a huge deal, but I am just curious.

I suppose a more relevant question is how much difference does the 180 t-stat really make? Is it even worth it to change it out?

Thanks in advance for any info!

·
hot2k1ram
756 Posts
well i would change the thermostat before anything, cuz it's so much easier with the alternator off or just moved to the side, then after, u can install the FIPK or similar cold air kit and not have to worry about it

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
you know what..honestly with the way gas prices are today I would leave the 195 in. If you plan on getting a Mopar PCM then change to a 180. The 180 will give you slightly noticable improvement on performance but will cut your MPG even more noticably. Right now I bet you notice that your truck has a bit more pep in the morning when you first start down the road..then as the engine warms up, it gets a bit sluggish (just enough to notice)...the 180 will keep that from happening.

BTW: the t-stat is just as easy to get with the HS there than w/o. Just take the wireing harnes off the Alternator along with the two mounting bolts and you will have plenty of room to get at the goose neck!

·
Hemi Nation
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot for the info. I was looking at all the things I wanted to do (intake, TB, less restrictive muffler) and I could not decide on whether the t-stat was worth it or not. For now, I'm just going to leave the stock one in and see how things go.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
718 Posts
I didnt move the alternator either. It actually helped with the "sluggish feeling" too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.