·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering where i can get a 180* stat for a 02 4.7 ram 1500 qc :cool:

·
99 R/T,43K miles
613 Posts
i picked up a cheap one(around 10 bucks)at Advanced Auto.i think Jet makes a stat for it too,just more expensive.check your local auto parts stores.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
You need to get one from a second gen ram 5.9L and modify it a little. I dont remember what to modify on it though.

Keep me updated on the brand you go with and how its working for you? I reallly would like to run a 180 tstat in mine...Also have you ever ran aftermarket tstat on your 4.7? Just asking since, I have ran three to four aftermarket t-stats both 180 and 195 rating and neither one of them could keep my truck under the halfway temp mark. I ended up buying a oem tstat to keep the cooling operating back at normal temperature.

·
TWEAKED 4.7
4,390 Posts
go to ANY autoparts store. tell them you want a thermostat for a 2002 5.9L. specify you want the 180 degree stant. there a couple different temps for that year (180, 195, and 210 i think) so check it to make sure it says the temp on the actual part - it should be stamped in the metal. if you will do a search for 180 thermostats you will find people who have posted pictures of the modification you have to do to your current stant. you basically just have to cut a notch like the oem stant in your truck so the rubber ring will fit tight around it. just search it though...

·
Registered
143 Posts
pep boys dummy.........

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help everyone

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
any 99-02 5.9l 180 stat. cut a notch and drill 2 1/8th in holes on inside ring. those will be your weep holes.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
could someone post a pic? i could not find any......

·
Administrator
10,540 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well guys i went to auto zone to get my 180* stat. They didn't have the stant like i wanted so i got the cheap one. Decided to change my power steering pump since it was bad. Changed it out, turned my truck on and stepped around only to see water all over the ground. I didn't even get to put my new stat in. I just got my truck out of the shop and it seemed to be running good only that i was putting water in my radiator everyday cause it would be a little low. It seemed like it was coming out of my blow back hose so i change out my cap. And here i am again. Well i went ahead and took my stock stat out and modded my 180* stat I'll see about my radiator tomorrow morning when i put it all together. Man this really sucks. . . .

·
-4.7 ltr racing-
459 Posts
ya you cant go to checkers, auto zone etc. those guys dont know wtf their talking about ..........i asked for a 180 t stat for an srt 10 and they still didnt have anything lower than 195 ...i went through jetperformance to get mine ......but ive also heard get the part no . for the 195 stock thermo tell them to read you the part . no to you and theyll read you it like ghsleh195 or something like that or its ddlgho19 and tell them you would like "dghsl180" or dkghsl18" and lol theyll look in their box and theyll have it ...a mopar tech told me to do that to get the 180 and vice versa for the 160.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i put it on and it runs a lot cooler. Now i just have to find out why my water level keeps getting low :) Went by the radiator shop but they were closed. Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
did you run it for a while to get all the air out? cap off, htr on and bleed it of any air?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ya i bled the line until it quit bubbling. Hey what part of florida are you from. I'm in tampa working.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
it will bubble and then stop... u have to shake the truck and wait for it to warm up or start to come out of the radiator...... driving it will only find more bubbles and air pockets.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
ya i bled the line until it quit bubbling. Hey what part of florida are you from. I'm in tampa working.
Inverness, about 60-70 miles north. where are you working,

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
also the 4.7 really does not like having air bubbles. make sure you really bleed it good, w/ heater on high.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll try it again and see what happens thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
no problem, another way to do this to bleed it good, put rad. cap on 1 click, not all the way, go on a 1-5 mile drive, then check the level, add some if needed then put rad cap on all the way. and you should be good.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.