DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer quoted me $160 to change the front or the rear differential oil. Thats $320 and owners manual says to change every 15K miles. He said the oil is synthetic and cost about $80, so $80 is labor. That is darn steep to me!! What are others being quoted?

·
Once and future owner
3,059 Posts
I'd rather do it myself. :tup: It's easier than you think and pretty straight forward.

·
Custom - My Antidrug
107 Posts
No way in hell! I myself used to work at a Dodge dealership for over a year. When we do fluid changes, we don't remove the differential cover, we use a machine that sucks the fluid out, then we add the new fluid. So that keeps time down, and you don't have to deal with the cover gasket or anything. They only take a few quarts, and there is no way they will use $20 a quart oil. $160 for BOTH front and rear is more like it. I could do both in less than 30 mins from the time I drive in the doors. That includes lifting the truck up, lowering it down, etc.

You're getting ripped.

·
The White Collar *******
1,807 Posts
I did my diffs and transmission (manual) with Royal Purple for $145 total. That includes RTV, and the rear pinion seal which I did at the same time.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
For the stealership that sounds about right but there's no way I would pay it. If I can't do it myself, I'd take the truck to the lube shop. They're located with the the detail shop that does my truck.

:)

·
Registered
849 Posts
they quoted me $199 for the pumpkins and $199 for the tranny fluid... and $400 for the tune up... ( yes, for 16 spark plugs, pcv , and air filter ) .. I nearly fell over.
All stuff I am doing myself now... screw them !!!

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
I would definitely be doing it myself anyway.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I think they quoted my dad like $100 to do his rear diff., I had some oil for mine and rtv so we did it for $40.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.