DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just got my 2500 fri. and it is the truck for me. I do not have anything big to haul I'm not a farmer I don't need a 2500. But I know many people with 1500's and when it came time to buy a full size truck I knew I wanterd a 2500. The 2500 has a solid front axle ( not independant ) which is much stronger and also much cheeper to lift later on. You only have 2 engine choices HEMI or CTD ( hemi is standard ) . It feels more solid to me and sits higher looks better as a 4x4. I put LT 285 70 17 (33's) on mine and I think it looks great. And the price diff. is not much when you remember you don't pay for the hemi ( $950 canadian )

Take one for a test drive and decide for yourself

Attachments

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I would like to add some differences also.

2500 -
Gear ratios differ
Weighs more - could affect gas mileage
Bigger payload
Bigger towing capacity
Bigger brakes
Bigger axles - more fluid capacity - affects maintenance costs
Check on transmission choices - they used to differ between 1500 & 2500 series
Also with bigger parts - replacement/maintenance parts could cost more
Tags are more money because of higher GVW if registered as 3/4 ton
Possible insurance will cost more.

I probably missed a few so keep checking/asking

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
My wife has a 2002qc 4X2

My buddy has a 2500 4X4 with 4.56 gears and 35"wheels

I loved driving his 2500

·
Registered
193 Posts
I ordered a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 over a 1500 and here's why:

The 2500:

- is the base for the Power Wagon (Power Wagon's suspension varies)

- comes standard with the Hemi (the 1500 does not)

- has a choice of several transmission options (the 1500 has only 2)

- has solid axles (compare the 1500!)

- has larger brakes than the 1500

- has a 10.5" rearend (compare the 9.25" rearend on the 1500)

- has a factory 4" lift over the 1500

- if equipped with Hemi, 4.10 gears & 5 speed Auto, you can pull 12,000 pounds (DON'T even think about it with a 1500!)

Now, the goodies you will want to SERIOUSLY consider if you go with the 2500:

1. for $50, definitely get the 4.10 rear diff (not available on the 1500)

2. for $345, consider the FORGED ALUMINUM rims (not available on a 1500; by the way, I ordered these and they look killer - just like polished stainless steel!)

3. for $545, you can order the electric shift on the fly 4x4 transfer case (you click a knob between 2WD, 4WD Hi, & 4WD Lo...this is an incredible feature because when switching on the fly, you can't even feel it pop in to 4WD!)

4. Consider the Light Group & Security Group as well. On the Light Group, the hood light and the rear view mirror auto dimmer was worth the couple hundred bucks. The Security Group was only $200, and you'll get a specially encoded ignition key that communicates with the truck's computer system. There is NO WAY to hot wire the truck so it can be stolen. The key has to be in the ignition and read by the computer. You literally would have to take a fork lift to pick it up and carry it off for it to be stolen. It's the best $200 security system you can buy.

5. DEFINITELY order the Protection Group (aka skid plates) for underneath - for $100 or so, it's cheap insurance when you're off-roading.

6. Also consider ordering the Track-Lok differential (aka "Limited Slip"); you'll kick yourself if you don't. I not only love my 2 wheel peel marks, but when I'm out in the hunting out in the swamps and 4WD isn't really necessary, both rear tires help me plow thru the muck.

The 1500 is what it is: an outstanding light duty pickup. But if you want a serious truck with serious towing power and serious off-roading capabilities - or in the future if you plan on installing a high horsepower Hemi crate engine and need a heavy duty drivetrain with larger, more powerful brakes - then the 2500 is the machine for you.

Incidentally, if you are curious about a 3500, the Hemi version still comes with the 10.5" rearend; the 11.5" rearend is for the Diesel. The only difference between a Hemi 2500 & 3500 single rear wheel (not dually) is the 3500 has one extra leaf spring on the back and in my opinion, makes for a more bouncier ride which I don't care for.

Good luck - and I hope you find the above info helpful...

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Lots of great info in this thread, but no one mentioned the fact that with the same powerplant the 1500 will outrun (on pavement) the 2500 all day. :rck:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Eh...maybe...

Consider the Hemi QC Ram with automatic trans, 4x4 & long bed:

For a 1500, the Base Curb Weight is 5,527#

For a 2500, the Base Curb Weight is 6,206#

The difference is only 600 pounds - basically, the weight difference is the equivalent of adding 3 of your buds in the truck with you. If you factor in the 4.10 gears on a 2500 that aren't available on the 1500, quarter mile times between the two will be pretty close.

With that said, if a perspective buyer factors in the superior towing & off-roading capabilities & suspension of the 2500 plus its solid axles, 10.5" rear end, larger brakes and other performance features, why wouldn't a perspective truck buyer consider the Ram 2500 over a Ram 1500?

·
Registered
122 Posts
not everybody buys a truck for drag racing at stoplights.

the 1500 Hemi with a mandatory auto tranny is a truck I'll never buy. Trucks have manual transmissions. Next step up from mine is a 2500 with the CTD. I might go that route in another year or so.

·
Registered
852 Posts
BLACKWOLF said:
Lots of great info in this thread, but no one mentioned the fact that with the same powerplant the 1500 will outrun (on pavement) the 2500 all day. :rck:

You are absolutley right, about that. How about a 2500 with the CTD 610 series, with Banks power? :drivingz:

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
BLACKWOLF said:
True but I really loved driving my buddy's 2005 with those 35s

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
DamnYankee said:
why wouldn't a perspective truck buyer consider the Ram 2500 over a Ram 1500?
I know I would have taken a 2500 over my 1500 in a heartbeat. It was the bottom line that put me in my truck. My wants took me to the 4X4 2500 CTD Loaded. My wallet showed me the sweet 4X2 1500 Hemi SLT that I love so very much. ;)

I'd also be willing to settle for a debadged Powerwagon.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I know I would have taken a 2500 over my 1500 in a heartbeat. It was the bottom line that put me in my truck. My wants took me to the 4X4 2500 CTD Loaded. My wallet showed me the sweet 4X2 1500 Hemi SLT that I love so very much.
Hmmm...me thinks if you sold your TA toy, you could've bought a Hemi 2500 plus added a supercharger, and still had money left over for personalized license plates that said "NEXT".

*heh heh heh*

·
Registered
87 Posts
As for the mileage it's very close to a 1500 if you drive the same ( buddy has a 1500 QC 4x4 hemi). And Damn Yankee is right the forged alum. wheels looks awesome, and if you buy one get nicer tires makes everything look better, I put BFG Tl 285 70 17 (33's) on mine did not even take it home from the dealer went right to the tire shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
DamnYankee said:
me thinks if you sold your TA toy

You would not believe how often I hear this advice. ;)

I told the wife I would trade it in, but only on a C6 ZO6.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
joe kickass said:
And Damn Yankee is right the forged alum. wheels looks awesome.
Those wheels are real nice! They look flashy and rugged.

I like my dainty street setup as well. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
You would not believe how often I hear this advice.

I told the wife I would trade it in, but only on a C6 ZO6.
I'll bet! However ya got to admit: a supercharger or blower on a sports-packaged all black Ram 2500 with license plates labled "Next" sounds pretty sweet. haha!

Also, yer rims are SAWEEET and I think they'd look awesome on my 2500; unfortunately, us 8-luggers don't much variety in the way of rims like you 5-luggers and I doubt something that sweet would be available in 8 lugs :bawl:

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Here is my Bud's non dainty 35

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
DamnYankee said:
However ya got to admit: a supercharger or blower on a sports-packaged all black Ram 2500 with license plates labled "Next" sounds pretty sweet.
I couldn't, I have a friend with a 10 sec camaro his plates and his s/n are "next". The name fits him at the street races. :D

I've also seen a 4X4 CTD with exhaust and chip launch right past a moded f-body and leave it in the dust. These big trucks can be made to move. But its so much easier to just build a race car. I want a race car and a monster truck. Ohh, and something nice for the wife. Maybe an srt-10.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
uncbob said:
Here is my Bud's non dainty 35
Nice. But I got the bling factor locked! :D

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.