DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 RAM AWD 5.7L pickup with towing package. We tow a 6000# Travel Trailer with this pickup that has 120K miles. It tows the trailer well but given the mileage, replacement is possible. We've had this truck since new and love it.
What is difference between the 1500 and 2500? Is the frame structurally heavier? Are axle ratings different assuming same gear ratio? I don't know if diesel is needed given 5.7 experience. Transmissions have been considered a weak link but newer geartrain may eliminate that issue.
Looking for any advise you might have. Yes, we might go to heavier trailer so diesel power may make sense but it depends a lot on comments / recommendations you might provide.
Thanks in Advance!

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Yes the 2500 Has a heavier frame, heavier axles, and is overall heavier. I had a 2004 HEMI 2500 and it towed well but definitely needed to Rev high to be happy.

The HEMI moves the 1500 trucks much easier due to being a lighter weight truck. The 545RFE is the same between both trucks, but the bad gear spacing is much more noticeable towing with the 2500. 1st and 2nd are nicely spaced then it falls on its face going into 3rd. Not saying its horrible towing, but personally I'd go with a newer 2500 with the 66RFE trans if you can if you are dead set on a 2500, otherwise a 1500 with the 8spd will be much nicer than the 04 you currently have as well.

6000lbs is well within a 1500's towing capacity.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you do not see yourself towing more than 10k lbs, then the 1500 would be the choice I would choose. Here is why:

1. Fuel mileage when not towing anything. The 1500 gets better day to day mileage.
2. Initial costs, the 1500 will cost you thousands less for the same options.
3. Continual costs, the 1500 ware parts are less expensive to replace, breaks, tires etc.
4. Ride quality, the 1500 rides so much better than the 2500.

So if you don't think you will ever tow more than 10k lbs, the 1500 is the better choice, but if you think you will, then you will need to move up to the truck that has the appropriate tow rating.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
If you do not see yourself towing more than 10k lbs, then the 1500 would be the choice I would choose. Here is why:

1. Fuel mileage when not towing anything. The 1500 gets better day to day mileage.
2. Initial costs, the 1500 will cost you thousands less for the same options.
3. Continual costs, the 1500 ware parts are less expensive to replace, breaks, tires etc.
4. Ride quality, the 1500 rides so much better than the 2500.

So if you don't think you will ever tow more than 10k lbs, the 1500 is the better choice, but if you think you will, then you will need to move up to the truck that has the appropriate tow rating.
This. Couldn't say it better.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Yes if you are going to stay at #6000 the 1500 will do the job and do it well but if you go too much more well then the 2500 is the ticket and yes the tranny in those suck. I know I had a 2006 that my tranny went out at 5000 mile when I had just bought it but it was still under warranty so no problem, well it went out again shorty after 75,000.

The reason why I pick up a 2014 2500 hemi is that I'm planning on getting a TT at about #8500 to #9500 lbs so I will have the room their and my payload don't goes over before my towing run out.

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
input

our camper is 7700 lbs dry my 2013 ram 1500 3:92 gears 8 speed did great mpg towing not so good . we went back and forth and finally went with a 2500 diesel towing first time next week end to s.c. i do like the over all feel of the 2500

Attachments

·
That guy
3,097 Posts
Everyone throws around the buy in offset between a diesel and a gasser but you will always make it back on resale. Always.

Fuel mileage difference is negligible. My 1500 gets around 18mpg and my Cummins SWR's got between 15-18mpg.

The new 2500's with the coil sprung rear suspensions are much better than they used to be but they will never ride like a 1500, throw some real tires on a 1500 and it would feel the same.

If you ever plan on upgrading your trailer you might as well buy the right truck now.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
our camper is 7700 lbs dry my 2013 ram 1500 3:92 gears 8 speed did great mpg towing not so good . we went back and forth and finally went with a 2500 diesel towing first time next week end to s.c. i do like the over all feel of the 2500

Wow congrats on your new diesel, it look awesome.

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
thanks mojo i like it and where are the pictures of your new camper ??

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
thanks mojo i like it and where are the pictures of your new camper ??

Man I have being asking the wife and she said that it's not time yet and she is right but we are looking. I hoping sometime next year and I have high hope and when it does happen I will post up some pics.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've been towing about 2 yards of road base (approx. 4000 lbs) with a trailer that weighs in at about 1400 lbs. I have a 2015 5.7 ram with the crappy 6 speed, 3.55 rear end. I upgraded the rear spring for sag issues to the the tufftruck 1223V variable springs. the truck does fine, my main concern is the transmission. Lots of motor noise, but little forward motion. But once it gets going, its good. the 2nd to 3rd gear shift really just hurts me deep inside my soul. I need to make that trip to the gravel yard about 6 more times... Hopefully I'm not killing the trans. I'd imagine if the 2500 has the 6 speed, that would really be the weak point. I don't think the 1500 or the hemi overall is too over loaded but I think the transmission is.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Really all depends on if you are looking for a new heavier trailer. Is the truck a daily driver or just a tow rig? Are you really concerned about mpg? If you are not planing on getting a heavier trailer, and the newer ones are becoming lighter (same model as mine just in 2014 weighs 5100lbs, my 2004 weighs 6800). Just to add another wrench into the thoughts, have you thought of a 1500 diesel?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.