DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Home of the Whopper
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I never realized before reading this thread: http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293722 that there was any difference in the Ram seats beyond power, no power and leather. The seat in mine has never really been comfortable and the side bolster is breaking down and looking like crap. It's only got 11,800 miles on it so it's far from worn out. Well, after reading and disagreeing with the above thread I drove near 400 miles on the freeway taking the kids down to see there grandma. Right off, I took notice of the fact that I am not sitting in the center of the seat. I'm actually sitting off of the side of the seat towards the door. Also the seat not being centered on the steering wheel as was posted before is dead on true. I took some time this afternoon to go to the local chevy used car lot to look at some rams. They had both an '07 and an '08. These were 2500's without power seats. In both trucks the seats are centered on the steering wheel. The seat in mine measures 19" wide at the front top edge of the lower cushion as measured between the welting. The 2500 seats both measured 21" at the same place. I'm going to look into this further with the dealership here in town. Does anyone have any info as to why the seats are so different. Is it the plastic side panel vs side flap that makes the seats different? Mine are power cloth with the plastic side panel. Please post the width differences in your 1500 trucks with side flaps or leather. I'd like to figure this out and get the wider seats for mine.

·
Home of the Whopper
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I fixed the link. It now points to the start of the thread.

·
ak_ram
48 Posts
dont know if there is any difference between my 02 and ur 08 but mine are leather /w side flaps all power and measures 20" front to back and 21" side to side at the front and is off center on the wheel seats are holding up very well in my truck with 130,000 mi but it probably my skinny 170lb body doing it justice

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
The 2500 seats both measured 21" at the same place. I'm going to look into this further with the dealership here in town. Does anyone have any info as to why the seats are so different.
Well, I looked into this a bit, and it seems that 1500's are made for girls, and 2500's are built for men. Hey, don't get mad at me, I didn't make the rules. ;)

·
Registered
110 Posts
hey ratram. i was right huh. now when you get in your truck you notice it a bit more. and i think thats the reason why the foam and fabric on the outside edge breaks down. the inside edge isnt that way. the floor pan is the same and the seat rails that bolt to the floor are the same from 1500 to 2500. so in theroy. 2500 seats should bolt right in. i dont understand why dodge did this. seems dumb to me. the previous body style wasnt like this. so why make this change.

·
Home of the Whopper
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey ratram. i was right huh. now when you get in your truck you notice it a bit more. and i think thats the reason why the foam and fabric on the outside edge breaks down. the inside edge isnt that way. the floor pan is the same and the seat rails that bolt to the floor are the same from 1500 to 2500. so in theroy. 2500 seats should bolt right in. i dont understand why dodge did this. seems dumb to me. the previous body style wasnt like this. so why make this change.
I don't have any idea why they did this, but it seems that Rich 2500 has got it figured out. I guess they figure 1500's are going to be bought by young people, possibly starting families and wont see many road trips. 2500's and up are tailored for work, towing and long distance use. Seems like it would be more cost effective to make them all the same, but what do I know. I'm just one of the dumb SOB's that bought one and now has to live with it.

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
I'm not buying this. I think the difference is all based on model year and trim level. Until I see two same year/trim trucks in 1500 and 2500 it sounds like bs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i dont know about the width but im also sitting on the side and my steering wheel is off center. I said that to my g/f and she kept telling me i was crazy, i need to show her this

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I'm not buying this. I think the difference is all based on model year and trim level. Until I see two same year/trim trucks in 1500 and 2500 it sounds like bs.
Well, it just so happens that I know a guy with an 07, 2500 SLT, Quad Cab Short Bed, 4X4, electric fabric seats, with Adj. lumbar support, and his seats measure 21" wide measured at the bolster seams, and 20" from the seat back to the front. So if you know anyone with a comparable 1500
we could compare them. ;)

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
Do you have the plastic on the sides?

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
No it's fabric George.

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
Mine's plastic. I really think that is difference. I think the seats with plastic are just a different part number.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Could be, I think Chrysler out-sources, some things, to a lot of smaller companies, that also out-source to other small companies, for things like frames and foam, wire and springs. I think that is the problem with the PCM's too.

·
Home of the Whopper
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, it just so happens that I know a guy with an 07, 2500 SLT, Quad Cab Short Bed, 4X4, electric fabric seats, with Adj. lumbar support, and his seats measure 21" wide measured at the bolster seams, and 20" from the seat back to the front. So if you know anyone with a comparable 1500
we could compare them. ;)
That sounds about right for the way mine is equipped. I was right there with George in the last thread, then started to compare similar year and trim level trucks. From what I can find so far, the 1500's have side plastic and the 2500's have side flaps even with power. This all means nothing right now as I was sideswiped by a semi this morning. My seats are now a minor problem.

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
my 1500 has carpet flaps.

·
Home of the Whopper
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
my 1500 has carpet flaps.
Is it an ST or SLT? Power seats or manual? When I get the chance I'm getting some from the wrecking yard that are wider.

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
Its SLT w/ manual seats.

·
Home of the Whopper
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How wide are your seats?

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I have the flaps on the sides of my seats in my 06 sport factory leather upgrade. I can get a measurement for you if you need.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
This all means nothing right now as I was sideswiped by a semi this morning. My seats are now a minor problem.
Everybody OK, Bud.? :(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.