DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted here a few times, I've been absent for a while now. I've got an old (1999) 4x4 1500 extended cab that I bought from the department of forestry as an auction. I did a bunch of work on it and got it respectable again. So here's what's going on....

It seems to have a hard time shifting out of 2nd gear when I accelerate. It WILL shift, but sometimes I have to let off the gas and coast a bit, or jam on the gas and run the RPMs way up. So I'm thinking, if I have to replace the xmission....why not go with a manual?? I would think, albeit naively, that there's probably a knock-out in the belly of the beast that I'd be able to feed the shifter thru. I would also think that it would bolt right up to the block without a problem... Have I over-simplified the project, or is it literally this trivial to do? Do I need a new ECM? Has anyone here done this or know anyone who has done this?

Incidently, here's the beast when I brought her home :

Here she is today :

Chris

·
Bridal Veil Falls
3,229 Posts
Looks like a nice rig, good luck with the Tranny swap.

Post pictures and directions for those that follow.

·
I R SMRAT.
1,622 Posts
Everything should swap right in fine. You WILL need a new PCM as the auto and manual PCM's are different. You'll also need the wiring harness, flywheel, clutch, clutch MC, clutch pedal, hydraulics, and tranny. Easiest bet would be to find a donor truck and strip everything off of it.

I plan on doing the same thing eventually when money allows. Mine's a 5.9L though but everything is still the same for mine.

Do a search here for "transmission swap." There are a couple threads on it.

Nice looking rig too!!! :rck: :drivingz:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmmm.... How about that. A shrunken seal? I've never heard of that. Sounds like it's a non-fatal problem. Maybe I'll get around to working on it this year sometime. :)

Thanks for the information!

Chris

·
Registered
70 Posts
well before you go swaping trannys have you changed your tranny fluid and all that fun stuff, might help shift a little easier.

·
Registered
39 Posts
DO THE SWAP :rck:

i just wanna know how it goes, one day when i can get enough money i plan on doing the same, driving automatics are boring :eek:

if you do end up doing it definitely post about it, all the problem areas and stuff.

·
Registered
194 Posts
if you still want to do the swap i have everything you need off of a wrercked truck ill sell you its a 01 model 5 speed 4x4 ill sell you computer,harness,clutch,flywheel,tranny,transfer,pedals, and even the shifter cover for the interior everything you need for $1200 im in san antonio but i will ship if you pay shipping or deliver within 200 miles for .50 a mile

·
I R SMRAT.
1,622 Posts
DANG! If that was only a 2500 5-speed I'd probably take ya up on it. :(

·
Registered
194 Posts
ill sell you the hole truck minus the 2500 axles and ill throw in my 1500 axles for $1500 it has a running 5.2 in it the front 1500 axle needs a shaft or CAd delete but has new bearings,seals,u joints and moog ball joints but you gotta come get it all or pay for a transport thats an even better deal i could also deliver within 200 miles of san antonio

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
DANG! If that was only a 2500 5-speed I'd probably take ya up on it. :(
will the NV3500 not work on the 360's?:huh::dunno:

ill sell you the hole truck minus the 2500 axles and ill throw in my 1500 axles for $1500 it has a running 5.2 in it the front 1500 axle needs a shaft or CAd delete but has new bearings,seals,u joints and moog ball joints but you gotta come get it all or pay for a transport thats an even better deal i could also deliver within 200 miles of san antonio
weeeeeeeelll, there ya go dude:tup:

hell, i'll even drive ya up there if you provide a trailer;)

·
I R SMRAT.
1,622 Posts
tempting.....TEMPTING......TEMPTING!!!

Is it a NV3500 or 4500? does the guage cluster have a tac? I'm wondering how the computer swap will match with my guage cluster. Mine does have a tac (why mine with the auto has a tac but the 1500 5-speed does not I have no clue).

Ugh....I'll have to talk this over with the wife. I might be able to regain most of this cost by selling my 46RE since mine was just rebuilt about 15000 miles ago and works great....I just hate autos.

·
Registered
194 Posts
it will bolt up the only difference is the flywheel a 360 is externally balanced and the 318 is internally balanced so you will need to buy a flywheel to bolt it to a 360

·
Registered
194 Posts
im assuming nv4500 since its an 01 and a 2500 as far as the tach i dont know im picking the truck up this weekend and didnt look

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
i know that the 360 manuals in the 2500's had a smaller input shaft than the v10/diesel tranny, dunno if it will work with your truck though...:dunno:

the 2500's come with the NV 4500 tranny:D

·
I R SMRAT.
1,622 Posts
will the NV3500 not work on the 360's?:huh::dunno:

weeeeeeeelll, there ya go dude:tup:

hell, i'll even drive ya up there if you provide a trailer;)
There are 2 versions of the NV3500. The one behind the 5.2 in the 1500's is a lighter duty and won't hold up to a modded 360 for very long. The "M50" was behind the 360's in the 2500's as well as the NV4500's. The M50 is a beefed up 3500.

·
Registered
194 Posts
2500s didnt come with a 5.2 did they i dont think they did but the guy said this truck was a 318 i know it is a 2500 though

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.