DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
You will get answers from both sides of the fence on this one.

For me, myself and I, did not see any performance gain.

·
Mopar owner since 1977
1,204 Posts
I believe there's benefits to both. If you're in situations where theres lots of water and mud, I'd rather have the stock system with a K&N drop in.
For the type of use my truck sees at this time my 14x3 with a spectre filter is perfect. I wish I hadn't spent the money on a FIPK first.

·
Registered
268 Posts
me, 14x3 was fun, sounded great at WOT and pulled better in the upper rpms

i did feel like i lost lower end power, but i was running a paper fliter, and i did lose a little mpgs< was if from the hot air from the motor or my foot,, a little of both

·
Ram Racer
1,584 Posts
What you get & how you use your truck will decide if its worth it ;)

Original FIPK from K&N back in the 90s was a 14x2.25"
Installed one late spring 96 on my new Indy.
Noticeable gain off the line & in top end power.
July 96 went to the dragstrip for my first time (Chrysler @ Cayuga)
Raced against 2 other identical Indys a bunch of times
Only things I had different was the K&N 14x2.25" & a matching f/g tonneau (125lbs more wt)
I pulled away from both of them off the line & all the way to the finish line every time.
Least I beat them both by was .25 seconds.
That was about 3 truck lengths at the finish line.

Going to a 3" tall K&N many years later noticed even further gain.
By the time I returned to the track I had made other changes so cant say how much it improved ets.

Paper or other manufacturers filters do not give the same results :nono

Link below lists various bolt on mods & what the et reduction was for my 96.
http://www.rm-indy.com/Performance_Gains.htm

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
What you get & how you use your truck will decide if its worth it ;)

Original FIPK from K&N back in the 90s was a 14x2.25"
Installed one late spring 96 on my new Indy.
Noticeable gain off the line & in top end power.
July 96 went to the dragstrip for my first time (Chrysler @ Cayuga)
Raced against 2 other identical Indys a bunch of times
Only things I had different was the K&N 14x2.25" & a matching f/g tonneau (125lbs more wt)
I pulled away from both of them off the line & all the way to the finish line every time.
Least I beat them both by was .25 seconds.
That was about 3 truck lengths at the finish line.

Going to a 3" tall K&N many years later noticed even further gain.
By the time I returned to the track I had made other changes so cant say how much it improved ets.

Paper or other manufacturers filters do not give the same results :nono

Link below lists various bolt on mods & what the et reduction was for my 96.
http://www.rm-indy.com/Performance_Gains.htm
i have paceset tlongtubes, magnaflow cats ,1.7HS , fastman ,edelbrock airgap,sct tuner and 14x3 autolight 3923. right now it seems like my truck has some balls for a 4x4. sc/sb :D

i just installed the airgap last week and i was really surprised on how much it woke the truck up . i m a really happy man right now and now im feeling the need for more take off power lol

my question is how would my truck feel if i took out the 3.55 with the open rear. and put in 4.10 with a lsd ? i just dunno if that 2300 dollar price tag to do both front and back +labor would be worth it. or should i continue with the motor . heads/cam ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
my question is how would my truck feel if i took out the 3.55 with the open rear. and put in 4.10 with a lsd ? i just dunno if that 2300 dollar price tag to do both front and back +labor would be worth it. or should i continue with the motor . heads/cam ?
Dude. Gears. If you are running 33"+ tires do the gears!

·
Registered
327 Posts
I just like the look to be honest. i got the chrome intake with the K&N filter looks cool.

·
RAM IT!!!
297 Posts
I had a guy tell me that the 14x3 had increased airflow when compared to a stock system or intake kit. From what I can tell he is right too. The increased airflow should make up for the hot air instead of cooler air.

·
Registered
268 Posts
well also think about this

For each 10° reduction in air temperature you can expect to increase horsepower by 1%.

now thats once you can adequate flow

·
Registered
782 Posts
I switched from the stock to the 14" round. Now I have the Black Mamba DIY intake, and I like it best.

·
Registered
327 Posts
they have them out there but it is cheaper to make your own. what i did was take a torch and heated the rod and made two 90 degree angles with a 3/4 of an inch between the two bends. i used a vice and a vicegrips.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
i have an edelbrock pro flow on mine. it was a hell of a lot cheaper than the 14x3 and sounds great, no temp difference like a CAI but i noticed a slight low-end improvement. not sure on the MPG difference.

this is the one i have:

now that i have a bit of cash, i'm wondering if i should change to the 14x3.

i just bought a 14x3 drop base air cleaner for my camaro.

·
Registered
327 Posts
1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.