DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how the 12V compares to the 24V. I'm hoping to get a CTD in the future for driving back and forth to work. I don't plan on hauling anything. I'm hoping to get a '98 - '02 because I like the interior design more than the 3G. I also want it to be a 2500 4 door short bed. Of course, its gotta have 4WD! When I get my degree, I'm looking to work at a place that I will have to drive from home to there on Highway 41. I hate highway travel. And for some reason, I think I would feel more comfortable driving a CTD back and forth on a highway because I think it would get better milage than a gas. I know that I can get a small car but I wouldn't live with it comfortably. I gotta have a big truck and be proud of it! I may put some performance parts on it. My major concerns are:

1. Does the 12V get better milage than a 24V? (There's somebody I know who has a '95 12V 2500 5 speed with bigger fuel injectors, blows a lot of black smoke through dual stacks, and can lose traction in all 5 gears (Yes, Overdrive!) if he wants to on wet roads and gets 18 mpg. There are two others who each drive a 24V and one gets 13 mpg with no performance parts. The other gets 14 mpg with a Superchips programmer and straight pipe. This is only three trucks, I need more feedback from other people who drive either a 12V or 24V. If you have perfomance parts, tell me what mpg you get with that part).

2. Should I go with a manual or automatic transmission if I decide to put on performance parts?

3. Should I get a 12V or 24V? (I know that Dodge stopped putting 12V in the Rams around mid '98).

4. Can you tell a small difference in sound between a 12V and 24V? Is one louder than the other? I was actually riding around in the 24V with the Superchips one night and stopped at a fast food place to talk to someone. I got out to get a drink right quick and came back out and noticed somebody else that I knew and started talking to him. The guy that I was riding around with started his 24V up and backed up to where I was. As he got closer to us, we had to start yelling at the top of our lungs just to hear each other because of the engine noise (I say engine noise instead of exhaust noise because the engine was idling as he backed up). The engine was that loud at idle. I know that diesels are going to make a lot more noise than a gas but I still want one!

I would appreciate any feedback very much!

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
I had a 98 12V and a 2000 24V and the 2000 was a little faster and got a little better fuel mileage. I pulled anything I wanted with both of them and neither had any performance parts on them. Both sounded the same and blew the same amount of black smoke

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you are looking for four door it has to be 98.5 and up. There have been stories of a few 12v being slipping in, but I'm sure the numbers are small. As for milage, my '99 is down to 20.5m.p.g. w/4.10. I think my injection pump is starting to show problems (but of rht price I will keep running it). I only have a couple of tanks throughmy '00 and so far it seems to be around 21.5-22. '99 is 5 speed 2wd and the '00 is 4wd/auto.

If you plan on doing very much in the way of power mods, go with the manual unless you want to spend 3-4 times the power $ on the tranmission upgrades.

Randy

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
newriverCummins said:
If you are looking for four door it has to be 98.5 and up. There have been stories of a few 12v being slipping in, but I'm sure the numbers are small.
Randy
Huh? All 98's are 4 doors. Mine was built at the end of August 03 with the 4 doors and the 12V. They changed over to the 24V at Christmas shutdown.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
LOL, thats what I get for responding so early in the morning. You are exactly right, my truck was built in August 97.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a 01 24v Im 18 and drive fast at avg 17mpg 20hwy at at60 and 18 or so at 75 or 80mph and not sure intown.

·
4x4, Straight pipe roar!
2,538 Posts
as far as sound goes, i personally think 24 valves are louder than 12 valves. my $.02

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.