Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
KTM Rider
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And it sucks too!

I picked up my 2005 Quad Cab LWB 4x4 with the Cummins 7 days ago and I'm disappointed in a big way with the lousy fuel efficiency. The trip computer was readeing about 12.3 mpg and hand calc. I got 11 mpg. Granted I have 4.10's but this is ridiculous. $5500 option and I'm getting Hemi MPG.

I got the 4.10's because I will lift it with at least 35's and more than likely 37's. I was hoping for at least 15 mpg.

Tell me it will improve somebody please.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I would imagine that it will improve, and from what everyone with larger gears is saying, they should only help it out, not hurt it. I have a 3.7 reg cab 2wd with 3.55 and I am only getting about 14 mpg now, but I would think a Cummins would get more.

·
Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty
5,101 Posts
It should improve gradually over the first 10K miles, as it takes this engine a long time to break in. Ours that is a 3500 Quad, 2wd, Cummins, 6spd, 4.10s gets 14.5 mpg regardless of how we drive, where we drive and what we tow. No better, no less. In fact, it even states in the owners manual that it will gradually improve as the vehicle breaks in, but you read that, right? Also, driving style can factor in, if you are doing in town driving and accelerating hard, do not expect to get good mileage.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Perhaps something is different with the 05s. My neighbor recently purchased an 05 2500 CTD 4x4 and the best he's gotten was 14 and that was mostly highway. Other posts on this site indicate he should be getting over 20.

·
Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty
5,101 Posts
I think some posts are exaggerated, and some members here have theirs chipped or reprogrammed which will help mileage. Keep in mind that this is a 7000+ lb truck Also, let me re-enforce that mileage improves over the first 10K of the diesel engine's life, it isnt going to get good mileage until it is broke in.

·
Registered
16,621 Posts
your not even getting hemi mpg , mine has 1200 miles on it and ive averaging 15.4 so far.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Isnt that one of the high points of having a diesel? Getting somewhat good mileage. I dont remember but doesnt the sticker state like 22 mpg for the diesel engines?

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
My first tank in my CTD was about 13... and the next 14 and then 16 and then I'd average 18 or so mostly in town and then up to 21 on the freeway.

Diesels take a lot longer for them to break in the gassers do... and it will improve as it gets more and more broken in.

·
Registered
155 Posts
DirtEater said:
And it sucks too!

I picked up my 2005 Quad Cab LWB 4x4 with the Cummins 7 days ago and I'm disappointed ....
I think you might need to give it 25 or 30k miles to start to begin to break in a bit? I'm not sure other that that.

·
KTM Rider
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So should I expect 12 MPG on this second tandkful? Please get better.

·
KTM Rider
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
blackarmy said:
Isnt that one of the high points of having a diesel? Getting somewhat good mileage. I dont remember but doesnt the sticker state like 22 mpg for the diesel engines?
No, it doesn't list any MPG.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm getting about 12.5 in my hemi right now :haha:

No matter how disappointed you are now, with a few mods you can drastically improve your gas mileage. Just a box will make a huge difference on the diesels.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I get around 10-12 with my HEMI.... I also have a lead foot and hardly ever accelerate slowly. Why have a big ol engine if you aint gunna use it :rck: :rck:

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I averaged 11.5 with my HEMI, and have been getting around 14.5 with the new CTD. I have 35" tires, and I'm sure that is making a little bit of a difference. Of course, when my wife drives it, she averages about 16 (I think I have a little heavier foot!). I have about 1200 miles on the odometer now.

·
Banned
7,195 Posts
DirtEater said:
No, it doesn't list any MPG.
relax man. The cummins will take awhile to break in. More than 10k unlike gasoline engines. It'll only get better but not by the time you have your 2nd tank.. LOL Just keep using conventional motor oil such as Castro GTX in your engine for 40-50k miles.

·
Registered
244 Posts
DirtEater said:
And it sucks too!

I picked up my 2005 Quad Cab LWB 4x4 with the Cummins 7 days ago and I'm disappointed in a big way with the lousy fuel efficiency. The trip computer was readeing about 12.3 mpg and hand calc. I got 11 mpg. Granted I have 4.10's but this is ridiculous. $5500 option and I'm getting Hemi MPG.

I got the 4.10's because I will lift it with at least 35's and more than likely 37's. I was hoping for at least 15 mpg.

Well your getting better then HEMI mpg's ... hehe

·
Registered
385 Posts
11.2 avg but i know it will get better . im still in the break in period
faith and patience man...faith and patience

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
The new 'quiet' Cummins comes at a price - the preinjection pulses that deaden the crackle are wasted fuel. The extra friction of the 24 valve head hurts a bit, as does the NOx regulations that the EPA put out 2 years ago.

The modern Cummins diesel cannot match the fuel economy of 12 valve 5.9I6 of 7 years ago.

With all that said, DirtEater should air up his tires to max pressure and take his truck onto a level concrete highway and measure the MPG at a steady 60 mph.

If it is not at least 19 MPG
he should take the truck in to a Cummins Dealership and have the engine checked out. Then take it to a Dodge dealership and have the transmission checked out.

·
Bushwacker!
2,787 Posts
DirtEater said:
And it sucks too!

you should have bought a car instead if you're complaining.

mike

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.