DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
First, thank you again for entertaining our questions. The Challenger looks so much better in person than in pictures. I just sat in one and I was more impressed than when I saw it sitting on a turn table at last year's autoshow.

When I had a '97 Dodge Aveneger, I really enjoyed the fast steering ratio. It was weighty, but didn't take much of a turn to change direction. (I think it was a 16:1 ratio, but possible faster.) By comparison, my '05 300C seems rather bland and feels much slower.

Can you tell me what the steering ratio is in the Challenger and whether it is faster or heavier than the 300C? More road feel equates to increased enjoyment. :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I was wondering about MDS and the SRT-8. They are now putting 10% ethanol in the gasoline here and my gas mileage has dropped about 10%, so the effective price of gasoline is 10% more than the price at the pump. Could MDS be put on the SRT-8?
In theory yes, it could be implemented on the SRT8. In reality... can't talk future product plans :)

·
Premium Member
27,633 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I understand that you are not able to discuss future plans. Are you able to mention any features that you have considered and decided not to implement in the Challenger line?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Thank you for responding to my concern of a lack of "MDS" function. The dealer told me last week that his "tech support advisor" said the car was operating within spec. I'm sorry but this sounds like they dont wont to resolve this issue...Can you tell me please if there is a software issue with the MDS circuit ? I gather from your comment that the EVIC function is "different on the R/T versus the Challenger"...I thought the data bus was the same.
my car, from cruise at 55-65, wont sustain a MDS operation so therefore the advertised 25 mpg for highway is not realised. Folks with the SRT' Challenger have reported a happy 24 mpg highway, the 09 Charger folkes with the RT report often 26-28+ mpg. The 09 RT's have the new compression heads and supposedly more aggresive MDS. If the dealer cannot figure out whats wrong with it where do I turn. thank you Sir's for your help.
The 09 Charger and Challenger share a common base engine and heads. The Challenger with the 3.06 ratio axle will actually pull more torque at the road than the 2.65 Charger. The MDS cal is based on requested versus available torque and the Challenger will typically hold MDS more easily than the Charger on grades and higher speeds. I'm curious how you are monitoring MDS engagement?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
thanks for taking your time to talk to us!
I am really happy you guys chose to have a manuel tranny option!
because I am budget minded:D is there anyway to upgrade an '09 or '10 R/T challenger to get the cool "stuff" of an srt? such as traction control Full Off?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
First, thank you again for entertaining our questions. The Challenger looks so much better in person than in pictures. I just sat in one and I was more impressed than when I saw it sitting on a turn table at last year's autoshow.

When I had a '97 Dodge Aveneger, I really enjoyed the fast steering ratio. It was weighty, but didn't take much of a turn to change direction. (I think it was a 16:1 ratio, but possible faster.) By comparison, my '05 300C seems rather bland and feels much slower.

Can you tell me what the steering ratio is in the Challenger and whether it is faster or heavier than the 300C? More road feel equates to increased enjoyment. :)

Ratio is 16.1:1 it is same as ratio on the 300C. We revised castor in '09 which tends to change feel on the steering ratio and precision. We changed lower control rod inners to non-voided bushings to improve SRT8 so it'll feel nearly identical to the '08 SRT8. The SRT8 also has a non-droop flow pump which equates to higher performance on the track.

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
Do you have a feel for what percentage of 09 Chally sales or orders of R/Ts or SRTs have the manual tranny? I would probably be driving or at least have on order an 09 Ram if they would not have dropped the manual. I mainly am just hoping that the manual is popular enough in the event that I have to wait a year or so to get a Chally.

·
Registered
25,358 Posts
Ratio is 16.1:1 it is same as ratio on the 300C. We revised castor in '09 which tends to change feel on the steering ratio and precision. We changed lower control rod inners to non-voided bushings to improve SRT8 so it'll feel nearly identical to the '08 SRT8. The SRT8 also has a non-droop flow pump which equates to higher performance on the track.
What is a non droop flow?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
what do you say we make the ecm's a little more friendly like gm's?
is there a reason mopar doesn't use MAF? I understand it lends itself to performance more than the current MAP system

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
I understand that you are not able to discuss future plans. Are you able to mention any features that you have considered and decided not to implement in the Challenger line?
Certainly convertible and a three spoke steering wheel would have been a "bow tie" on the package! However we are very happy with the product we have and speed to market was the objective. I think we delivered!

Stay tuned you never know what is to come . . .

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi again Dodge Engineers. The service mgr has on four occasions , hooked up the starscan tool to the diagnostic port. then we go on a 15 mile open highway trip. The Evic "gas avg" never goes above 20.5 etc.., on level ground at 55-65 mph the MDs "as verified by the starscan tool" only shows MDS on for about a second then cuts off (this is pretty level ground)..But at 75 to 80mph the MDS (as verified by starscan) stays for for a longer period of time (My car is not a airplane). The gas mileage is what i see on the evic after clearing it to a zero state). I of course check my gas mileage by calculation each fillup. My combined gas mileage since I bought it is:15.34,15.09,15.28,15.99 and 16.62.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Can long tube headers be installed on the 09 R/T and would they make a
significant torque increase?
There are lots of aftermarket kits making fantastic claims for performance. The base exhaust was developed to have very low back pressure. Header and exhaust kits can give you modest back pressure improvements but you're running very efficiently now. Also consider that your engine and emissions calibrations are developed to the factory hardware. You may create unexpected performance or emissions faults as you swap parts upstream of the cats. There are some great Mopar crate engines available.:SPIN:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
What is a non droop flow?
Sorry 'bout that....

Droop flow means that the pump will ramp up to a given flow rate and then cutoff.

On the non-droop flow, the pump will continue to ramp up flow with engine speed allowing for higher performance rate turns at speed. A good example of this is the 100ft slalom where we want to ensure we don't get "pump catch" which results in slower trap speeds.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Do you have a feel for what percentage of 09 Chally sales or orders of R/Ts or SRTs have the manual tranny? I would probably be driving or at least have on order an 09 Ram if they would not have dropped the manual. I mainly am just hoping that the manual is popular enough in the event that I have to wait a year or so to get a Chally.
Manual is coming in above our expectations and should be around for you to order. It's a great ride you'll love it

81 - 100 of 121 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.