Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Have a 2000 Durango with the 5.9. This has been the best vehicle I have ever owned by far! It is approaching 100K miles and I want to spend a little time/effort taking care of it. It had a tuneup at 50K as well as new brakes, trans flush, and cooling system replacement. I change the oil regularly and it still runs great. I have a list I have formed on my own as well as searches on this forum but would like comments and advice from the forum. I do tow with this vehicle. The only mods are an intake with K&N. Here is my list:

Autolite 3923's
Wires and cap (any recommendations?)
differential fluid change
Fuel Filter
Fuel injector Cleaner
New shocks (Any advice or recommendations?)
power steering fluid change (steering is a little sluggish)
PCV Valve
air filter
change axle fluids
inspect the front wheel bearings clean and repack
inspect auto tension drive belt / replace if required

Any other ideas or comments on my list would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
DFL:

You can cross the wheel bearings off the list. They are sealed units and when they crap out, you replace them.

For the rear axle, consider Royal Purple or Mobil 1. What ever you go back in with, a synthetic is preferred.

For shocks, if firm/sporty is your bag, the Bilsteins are great and you only have to buy them once. You can find them here on the net for ~$250 shipped.

Don

·
Registered
48 Posts
seafoam for the injectors

·
Todd O
933 Posts
It doesn't have a fuel filter just a strainer for the fuel pump. I would get some berrymans fuel system treatment cleaner. It is a 3 step process one you can clean your throttle body and all of your sensors. I would take the whole tb off the engine replace the gasket and totally clean the throttle body and the iac don't worry about cleaning the tbs or the map sensor just take the tps out and clean the shaft. Next use the intake manifold cleaner and suck it through the brake booster using the engine vacuum it will have instructions in it. Then pour the fuel treatment in the gas tank. You should be able to get this at advance. You should see some more mpg and better throttle response! Use a turkey baster and suck as much of the p/s fluid out of the resevoir as much as you can and replace it with atf+4. Get rid of the k and n unless you really like it because you will have to clean the tb alot. You will see what I mean if you take the air duct off. If you want a reusable filter I would get a fram synwash filter. If you have any more q's let me know!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. Tosterho, where all those treatments you metioned in one kit? Berrymans? Also, ATF-4 in the P/S resivoir. Is this tranny fluid or is it something else?

·
Todd O
933 Posts
yes they are all in one kit and the p/s uses mopar atf+4 that you can get at walmart. Yes it would be the same thing you put in your tranny and you shouldn't need more than 1 quart.

·
Todd O
933 Posts
I wouldn't change the ball joints unless they are worn out or aren't within limits!

·
Registered
132 Posts
"If it aint broke, dont fix it"

I would do like "canuck" said and change over to synthetic oil.... Mobil 1 or Royal Purple for the engine. Do one last oil change with regular oil and subsitute 2 quarts of engine oil with 2 quarts of TRANS FLUID and run it for about 1000 miles. Transmission fluid will help clean some of the goo and gunk from your engine. Pull your wheels and check your pads and rotors, visually check your shocks, if they are not leaking any fluid or all rusty with holes, I would leave them alone. More than likely your ball joints have already been "updated" so why spend $300 or more replacing them unless they are bad, unless you are bored and want something to do... Spray the crap out of all your door hinges, and leaf springs with a GOOD SYNTHETIC lube. When is the last time you flushed and replaced your coolant? Get a new cap and rotor (BRASS TERMINALS) and replace your wires and plugs with a GOOD brand like ACCEL, TAYLOR or MSD and bump those puppies up to at least a 8mm wire. If you do that, spend the extra $40 and buy an aftermarket coil. (youll also need a harness adaptor, think that was like $9.00 or something) When is the last time you checked your serpentine belt? If it is cracked replace it.... Clean your battery terminals and cables. Remove your throttle body clean it real well (there are other posts on this in the forums) and replace the gasket.

There are a lot of things you can clean and check and wont cost you anything and will help in the long run.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.