DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck is at 100,000 miles, transmission is gone A/C is gone, water pump is leaking.

What will my local Dodge dealer do for 100,000 and how much will it run on average? I don't wanna get ripped off like I already have :). Trans, AC, wp has all been fixed once, all went out within a year.

·
Platinum 2K R/T
4,054 Posts
What year and engine?

Cost can vary widely here. Especially transmissions, depending where you get it from (salvage yard vs specialty shop). You mentioned the A/C is gone? Where did it go? (kidding!). Do you know if there's a refrigerant leak or if the compressor is shot, perhaps both? Only a proper diagnosis will find this out. Keep in mind that the 'dealer' is just another 'shop'. Call around and price out labour rates elsewhere. Keep in mind that a lot of shops will go by a 'book rate/value' to do certain work. If you really want a dealer to do the work, phone other dealerships in your area if there are any to see if they'll give you a bit of a deal for getting multiple things done to the vehicle. A little nogotiation can go a long way.

From the owners manual:

90,000 miles (144 000km)
- Change engine oil.
- Replace engine oil filter.
- Inspect engine air cleaner filter, replace if necessary.
- Replace spark plugs.
- Inspect PCV valve, replace as necessary (5.2L/5.9L).
- Inspect front wheel bearings.
- Inspect auto tension drive belt and replace if required.

93,000 miles (149 000km)
- Change engine oil.

96,000 miles (154 000km)
- Change engine oil.
- Drain and refill automatic transmission fluid, change filter and adjust bands (5.2L/5.9L).
- Drain and refill automatic transmission fluid and change filter (4.7L).
- Change rear axle fluid.
- Change front axle fluid (4x4).
- Inspect brake linings.

99,000 miles (158 000km)
- Change engine oil.

102,000 miles (163 000km)
- Change engine oil.

105,000 miles (168 000km)
- Change engine oil.
- Inspect engine air cleaner filter, replace if necessary.
- Inspect auto tension drive belt and replace if required.

108,000 miles (173 000km)
- Change engine oil.
- Drain and refill automatic transmission fluid, change filter and adjust bands (5.2L/5.9L).
- Drain and refill automatic transmission fluid and change filter (4.7L).
- Change rear axle fluid.
- Change front axle fluid (4x4).
- Inspect brake linings.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL, the A/C just disappeared! It walked out and left me.

No no, the A/C wasn't blowing out cold air 2-3 years ago, at the time the shop said I needed a new evaporator core. So I bought one, they said because they had to fix that, it was best if they also replaced the compressor, condenser, and 1 or 2 other parts. I bought the parts out right online, had'em replaced, it blew out cold air for a few months winter rolled around, then next season nothing... I get heat, but only sometimes, so I'm assuming it's the actuators in the HVAC unit.

The transmission was rebuilt nearly 2 years ago with a 10,000 mile/2 year warranty. Well, when the transmission started acting up, I took it to Mr. Transmission for them to fix and they refused to fix it!!! Then a month later they went out of business. After $3,800 I refuse to have it rebuilt again when I can find a used one and have it installed for under $1,000. $3,800 buys a new truck these days ($14,000 Dodge Ram 1500's Mega Cabs around here).

Water pump began making noise when I would turn the truck off, U could hear a fan winding down. Stealership said I should get it replaced, so I did it myself. Didn't get a good seal on the gasket, so it leaks, who cares, I fill it with liquid when it needs it. It heats up and nearly peaks during summer but only 1-2 times.

So transmission is toast, water pump leaks, and a/c doesn't work. All been replaced/rebuilt/fixed once.

I love my Durango, but man, I dunno... It's like a lemon!

·
Platinum 2K R/T
4,054 Posts
Find another Mr Transmission to take it to. Let them know about the previous problem or phone their head office directly. I'd demand them to remedy their crappy work and honour the warranty. I don't hear any 'fans' slow down after I shut off my D. I do however hear it on my '99 Ford Taurus as it has dual electric fans and driving in town, one fan is almost always on, if not both.

My '00 R/T has a clutch fan and under the coolant reservoir/wash fluid tank there is an e-fan, but I think it only runs when the A/C is on. Even then, I don't hear it turn off after I shut off my D. I never shut the vehicle off with the fan on defrost let alone with the A/C on. As for the water pump, I'd install a new gasket!

I wouldn't go overboard with throwing money into either, as you mentioned. The used truck market is real good if you want to buy. Even new, they're marked down well below sticker. I watch the used vehicle market in my area close enough. A similar D (2000 R/T) had more miles on it, looked rougher in the photos and the guy was selling it for $7K! I was shocked. I'm sure he'll be lucky to get $6K for it.

There was a nice '02 D with 28K on it that was hit from behind and the frame was beyond repair. It sold at auction for $1200!! Powertrain and a lot of mechanical parts looked to be in great shape. I wanted to put a bid on it, but I had no space at the time to store a parts vehicle.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The transmission was rebuilt nearly 2 years ago with a 10,000 mile/2 year warranty. Well, when the transmission started acting up, I took it to Mr. Transmission for them to fix and they refused to fix it!!! Then a month later they went out of business. After $3,800 I refuse to have it rebuilt again when I can find a used one and have it installed for under $1,000. $3,800 buys a new truck these days ($14,000 Dodge Ram 1500's Mega Cabs around here).
Holy crap!! $3,800?!?! I didn't even pay that much for my fastman tranny which will now outlast the life of the truck.

Oh, there is, in my book, a large difference between $3,800 and $14,000. Which is why I spend the $3,500 getting the fastman tranny instead of even finding a $5,000 vehicle to replace it with.

·
Registered
254 Posts
So transmission is toast, water pump leaks, and a/c doesn't work. All been replaced/rebuilt/fixed once.

I love my Durango, but man, I dunno... It's like a lemon!
Mine has had all of those same problems and yet I consider this Durango to be very solid.

It just sounds like you had some crappy work done. (Sorry to say, but some of that was done by yourself.)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea you're right, gr8scott, but I don't consider my water pump leaking to be an issue :) It leaks coolant, so I fill it up every 2 months or so. I can live with it.

I called Mr. Transmission corporate back when all of this originally went down, and they REFUSED, straight up REFUSED to help me out. Even after a receipt AND a bank statement showing the charges. Their reason? "We do not have a copy of the reciept in OUR records. In order for us to honor the work we must have one from the store." - GUESS WHAT? STORE CLOSED DOWN LIKE A MONTH AFTER MY DURANGO STARTED ACTING UP!!!

Then it turns out 5-6 buddies of mine had work there and got screwed over too. Silly part about it all? The "Franchise Owner" owned a Dodge Durango!!!

Fixing something myself for under $100 and having it leak doesn't bother me. Spending nearly $1,200 to fix the A/C and having it go out, bothers me. Same for the transmission. Come to think about it, I think I had all this work done at Mr. Transmission!!! A/C fixed at Mr. Transmission AND the trans... Except the original owners sold it by the time I needed my transmission fixed.

But you know what? By me even bringing this up will hopefully prevent others from going through what I've went through. I could of bought a used Durango for $5,000 or so like mentioned above, LOL.

·
Platinum 2K R/T
4,054 Posts
I called Mr. Transmission corporate back when all of this originally went down, and they REFUSED, straight up REFUSED to help me out. Even after a receipt AND a bank statement showing the charges. Their reason? "We do not have a copy of the reciept in OUR records. In order for us to honor the work we must have one from the store." - GUESS WHAT? STORE CLOSED DOWN LIKE A MONTH AFTER MY DURANGO STARTED ACTING UP!!!

Then it turns out 5-6 buddies of mine had work there and got screwed over too. Silly part about it all? The "Franchise Owner" owned a Dodge Durango!!!
If you paid for the work on a credit card I'd phone them to dispute the charges. If the store can't provide proof that they did the work properly and won't honour warranty work I'm sure VISA/MC/AMEX will fight on your behalf. They're been great with me in the past for shotty work that was promised to be fixed. After a few days of nothing I don't fart around with idiots and get my money back. Yes, they might have performed a service, but if they won't stick up to their agreement then too bad for them.

·
It doesn't need a Hemi
462 Posts
I would have given a call to the "Dept. of Consumer Affairs" and the "Bureau of Automotive Repair". Many times just the threat of the BAR is enough to get things going. Shops don't like the government on them. The problem is, if they can not fix it right the first time, if you force them to fix it again, odds are the outcome will be no different. Crappy shops are just that, crappy shops! You learn as you go, and i spent way too much to fix my transmission. My transmission works great but if I had to do it over again, I would have purchased a Fastman unit also, but I did not know of them at the time.

You replaced your waterpump, make sure that your tensioner is operating correctly. Mine was bad, and it took out my water and power steering pumps.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea my tensioner is working fine. I watch it and make sure, also check for wear/tear on my serp belt. Everything appears to be fine. Only problem I had on my WP when I installed it was I forgot to bolt in the bolt that sits behind the idler pulley, soon as I cranked up the truck white smoke blew out and I destroyed the idler pulley, LOL. So 2 hours later of asking myself "wtf?" and then my fiancee finding the problem resulted in a $12 fix.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.