DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I install 1.7 RRs and nothing else will it grenade my top end?
I am slightly concerned about the valve train having 130k miles of wear pattern then adding an extra bit of lift. Also I have read that it's recommended to install hardened pushrods, though I don't know why. Valve spring pressure should be the same.

Anyone done only RR on a high mileage application?

Also, will it run decent until I get a SCT or do I need to get the SCT first.

I am willing to drop $300 for RR, or $450 for the SCT, but not both at the same time.
Right now I am running rich with the B&G flash, so I'm thinking maybe more lift & duration = better a/f ratio ?

Installing roller rockers would be a easy saturday afternoon project, and if I get 15 hp out of them then it's worth it IMO.

thoughts?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
If I install 1.7 RRs and nothing else will it grenade my top end?
I am slightly concerned about the valve train having 130k miles of wear pattern then adding an extra bit of lift. Also I have read that it's recommended to install hardened pushrods, though I don't know why. Valve spring pressure should be the same.

Anyone done only RR on a high mileage application?

Also, will it run decent until I get a SCT or do I need to get the SCT first.

I am willing to drop $300 for RR, or $450 for the SCT, but not both at the same time.
Right now I am running rich with the B&G flash, so I'm thinking maybe more lift & duration = better a/f ratio ?

Installing roller rockers would be a easy saturday afternoon project, and if I get 15 hp out of them then it's worth it IMO.

thoughts?
on high mileage stock springs should be ok but then again they could break.....i put mine on at 79k ......hardened p-rod is for guide plate wear.....if you go with HS ped mount no need 4 hardened p-rods......go with stud mount and guide-plates and hardened p-rods are a must......

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where's the best place to get them?
I can't seem to find them on KRC or Hughes.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheaper than Mancini.
Wonder if the sponsors would do a DT discount?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
try moe's......never hurts to try

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the didn't have them listed, but I sent a request.
So far the best price I have found is $361 shipped.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
yeah i have 130xxx on my truck with 1.7 rockers, headers,cai,fastman,msd blah blah on stock block and runs like a champ

·
Registered
756 Posts
Are you using your stock cam??? I want to put the 1.7 rockers on my '97 ram 5.2 also. I was told that after 2000 Dodge upgraded the cam, not sure if it was in the 5.2 or 5.9. I was thinking of putting in the new RV grind cam that Krc has. Do you think the 1.7 rockers would help this, hurt it, or be a waist of money. I also found out that the EQ heads can be ordered in a "stage 2" that comes with 1.6 intake/1.5 exhaust rockers.

·
Registered
142 Posts
What all will I need to put these on my 95 5.2 with 70,000 on it

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
yeah i have 130xxx on my truck with 1.7 rockers, headers,cai,fastman,msd blah blah on stock block and runs like a champ
How many miles were on your truck when you installed them?

Are you using your stock cam??? I want to put the 1.7 rockers on my '97 ram 5.2 also. I was told that after 2000 Dodge upgraded the cam, not sure if it was in the 5.2 or 5.9. I was thinking of putting in the new RV grind cam that Krc has. Do you think the 1.7 rockers would help this, hurt it, or be a waist of money. I also found out that the EQ heads can be ordered in a "stage 2" that comes with 1.6 intake/1.5 exhaust rockers.
Yes I am going to use the stock cam until it's time for a rebuild because I am not going to replace the cam until it's time for a rebuild. And with 130k on the ticker, I don't think I want to chance fooking up a $350 cam.

KRC & Hughes make cams that are compatible with 1.7 RRs.

Not sure about the cam being 'better' after 2000, never heard of that.
Also never heard of the heads referenced being populated like you stated. Usually 1.6 (stock) or 1.7 are the options we (Magnum folks) have for roller rocker setups.

edit: about the cam - I would say that a cam is one of the best upgrades you can do, but it's also labor intensive. I am planning on going with the 210 or 210x that KRC offers, but that requires beefing up the top end and get a tuner prior to installation. And I need to check with them about custom grinding it since anything over .500 lift with 1.7s puts the tops of the valves really close to the top of the piston.

What all will I need to put these on my 95 5.2 with 70,000 on it
A set of valve cover gaskets and about 3 hours :D

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Been corresponding with John Mercedes from South East Performance (www.southeastperformance.com) and will be ordering a set of HS 1.7:1 roller rockers from them once I get ready to rotate back.
Good price, good information, and (most importantly) good customer service :tup:.
Just waiting to hear back from KRC about cam options.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
wow that throttle body kicks my DIY 52 mill tbs' a**! i wouldnt be able to get enough gas into it to keep it running.

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
i'm thinking of some HS RRS as well....thats IF i get this starting issue & power loss issue worked out. And first gotta get everything else i got sitting around installed first, plus get hemifever to right me a new tune for it.

i was told by someone (can't remember who) to get these & they are cheaper from them than from summit:
http://www.harlandsharp.com/dodge_magnum.htm
$299 (& that may inc shipping)

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wow that throttle body kicks my DIY 52 mill tbs' a**! i wouldnt be able to get enough gas into it to keep it running.
what throttle body are you referring to? :huh:

um yeah stock cam and installed the 1.7 about 4000 miles ago
Thanks. Was it worth the $350 in your opinion? Did you need to update the flash on the PCM?

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i'm thinking of some HS RRS as well....thats IF i get this starting issue & power loss issue worked out. And first gotta get everything else i got sitting around installed first, plus get hemifever to right me a new tune for it.

i was told by someone (can't remember who) to get these & they are cheaper from them than from summit:
http://www.harlandsharp.com/dodge_magnum.htm
$299 (& that may inc shipping)
they are $60 cheaper because they don't come with the guide plates.
No guide plates = valve stem wear.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
southeasternperformance, that wide open throat 1000 cfm tb. how much, that gives me a goal to work towards. i new that was possible to open both ports to one but wouldnt attempt that at home. nice link i might shop there :cool:

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
what cfm do our 318/360 stock TBs get? (before boring it or anything of course)

do the summitracing ones come with guideplates? If u don't mind can u get me a link to the HS 1.7 Roller Rockers that i would need for my 99 Ram 1500 4x4 with the 318? So i can file that link so i'll know what to get if i ever get some.

i'm baking cookies right now & will give u a whole batch :)

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.