DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am purchasing some barely used 1.7 roller rockers from a fellow member, and am wanting to know if there are any misc parts I'll need when doing the install.
I would like to get all the items needed ordered & have them in the garage when I get back.
I'm figuring on a set of valve cover gaskets, some RTV, blue LocTite, and that should be about it right?

I read somewhere that it can free up as much as 30 hp, I will get some before & after dyno runs to verify what the gains are. I think it might be closer to 10hp at the wheels.

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
cool, let me know. IF i do anything else to my engine, this will be the next mod. and most likely the last.

·
Dakota for life!
823 Posts
What brand are they? Adjustables? You may have some clearance issues with the valve cover baffles if you're using stock valve covers. Other than that, you shouldn't need anything special for the install (adjustables or not). Your guestimate on 10 hp is accurate on a stock motor. Good luck and enjoy the performance gain.

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I still want to install heads & a cam, but I'd need to replace atleast the front 2 cam bearings, and I would need to pull the radiator to have enough room (since I'd be changing them with the engine in the truck).
btw: here is a pic of the ones I am purchasing from UNHPistol -

Attachments

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What brand are they? Adjustables? You may have some clearance issues with the valve cover baffles if you're using stock valve covers. Other than that, you shouldn't need anything special for the install (adjustables or not). Your guestimate on 10 hp is accurate on a stock motor. Good luck and enjoy the performance gain.
They are non-adjustable Harland Sharp's and was told they would fit the stock valve covers no problem.
Thanks, and I am hoping for a little more as mine isn't totally stock.

·
Dakota for life!
823 Posts
Alrighty then. Three hours and a six pack will git-r-done.

·
Registered
53 Posts
yup

yup, they are the harland sharp ones no doubt. You wont need any spares, the rocker cover gaskets are re-usable on the rams, did mine in less then 2 hours, not sure about the increase in horsepower claims, they made my stock (ish) ram seem a little better on throttle response, but did not make a seat of the pants difference, hoping my sct tune will sort that out!

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
just so you know you need a special tool to install the cam bearings also congrats on the rr's

·
Registered
493 Posts
you have the option of replacing springs, lifters, retainers, valve stem seals with luck can all be done without removing the heads.

i think new springs would give you a higher margin for error near max rpm... those valves are going to be traveling further, you dont want a weak spring

would say a hughes plenum while you were down that far, but see you already got it

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just so you know you need a special tool to install the cam bearings also congrats on the rr's
you referring to the slide-hammer aparatus? I am hoping I can rent one. Was talking to my Dad about the cam bearings & the need to replace them prior to installing a new cam.
He was saying, specially with a roller setup, that most of the wear should be on the front 2 bearings, and that I may only need to replace one or two of them. I would hate to get that far into it just to find out the bearings are too fooked up to install a new cam. The OE bearings have 135k on them.
Thoughts?

you have the option of replacing springs, lifters, retainers, valve stem seals with luck can all be done without removing the heads.

i think new springs would give you a higher margin for error near max rpm... those valves are going to be traveling further, you dont want a weak spring

would say a hughes plenum while you were down that far, but see you already got it
I will be replacing the above mentioned items when I do the cam swap.
The 1.7 rockers aren't going to add that much lift, most of the benefit will be reducing friction.
I was asking a few other members who have done the install without upgrading the rest of the valvetrain and they have had no problems so far.
My max rpm is only 5500, so I don't think I'll be floating any valves :D

When I installed the kegger I modded I re-used my stock belly pan & gasket with the correct length (3/4" grade 5) bolts and have no leaks...but my stock gasket was still good when I removed the old intake too.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
congrat's on the RR:tup:

you will feel the diff...courious to see what the dyno say's...i think iam going to do a dyno run or two here soon , i hope....then it's sct for me...stock spring's i'd keep her at 5200 or under...rtv isnt needed for the valve covers...they go on dry....i used red high temp on the stud's...your ped mount so thats your call...they look good , nice set of RR:rck:.....i'd have them soaking in 10w30 tell i got home

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, been waiting for a while for a good deal.

I asked the seller to put a light coat of oil on them as they will be sitting in the garage until I get back to the house. The mail from over here takes forever though, he still hasn't recieved the payment yet.

I will prolly use some loctite blue on the studs just to be safe.
Will spin the engine (with the coil disconnected) over a few times with the covers off to make sure everything is good, then button it up.

·
The Man
365 Posts
Can't wait to see the dyno results.
I like hard numbers.

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's going to be a mintute :D
I still have about a month before I rotate home.
Once I get back to the house and re-aquainted with my family I'll install the RR.
Plus I am still waiting on the USPS to deliver payment to the seller, takes 10 days.

I will dyno it before the cam upgrade.

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Very easy install you will have no problems with the stock valve train. Keep the revs below 5600 and you will be fine. If the RR are use I might suggest replacing the bolts to be on the safe side. There is lots of pressure on those bolts and you would not want a failure.

·
Registered
144 Posts
quick question, i was looking into buying some harland sharp rockers like your and i noticed there are different stud sizes ones 3/8 and ones 5/16 is one for the adjustable and one for non-ajustable? and what the difference between the 2?

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Stock size is 5/16 and if you had edelbrock heads then you would need 3/8 or if you had the heads machined for 3/8 studs.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
you can use a 5/16 to 3/8 stud...then your adjustable...5/16 ped mount is non-adjustable

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.